• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shouldered Winch Bolts Source?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call George at White Owl. (252)522-2586. Last set I know of him selling went for like $60. You guys are missing the boat when it comes to deuce parts, White Owl has never failed to have what I need in stock from winch bolts to PTO drive flanges to alternator pulleys. They have been dealing in surplus vehicles for 60 years!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call George at White Owl. (252)522-2586. Last set I know of him selling went for like $60. You guys are missing the boat when it comes to deuce parts, White Owl has never failed to have what I need in stock from winch bolts to PTO drive flanges to alternator pulleys. They have been dealing in surplus vehicles for 60 years!
Called him - all sold out.

cbvet

Okay, I pulled a couple of bolts out of my winch to see what they look like.
Spent some time trying to find bushings or sleeves to use on standard 1/2 " bolts.
Couldn't find any with the 1/2 ID & 9/16 OD required, but found these that could easily be bored/drilled out.
McMaster Carr has them, others may too.

Sleeve Bearings
This product matches all of your selections.

Part Number: 6381K609 $1.94 Each
Material
Bronze
Bronze Type
Alloy 932 (SAE 660) Bronze
Type
Sleeve Bearings
For Shaft Diameter (Inside Diameter)
7/16"
Inside Diameter Tolerance
±0.001"
Outside Diameter
9/16"
Outside Diameter Tolerance
+0.002" to +0.003"

cbvet

hndrsonj,
Obviously bronze is softer than steel, but I couldn't find any steel bushings that would work. If I had a lot of spare time I could make some, but I don't.
Considering that the bushings would be "captured" in the holes, I can't imagine how they could fail. It's not like they are a moving part.
And as I mentioned, my M35 winch has plain 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I've worked it pretty hard with no problems.
From what I've read, the correct bolts are hard to find & expensive.
I'd use the bushings.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SECO has new ones for one side and dozens of used ones in their yard. TNJ Murray is looking, Antelope Valley thinks they have them. Jacks surplus has several parts trucks with winches. Last CSI in Talapoosa orders straight from AM General so I am guessing they can get new ones.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bolts are out there - SECO has 1202 of the short ones, new, but want over 8 dollars each. Like Jim said, a lot of people are looking, so I'm not ready to rig anything when I can use the correct bolt. If I had to, I would pay the big bucks to use the right stuff. Bushings and a regular grade 8 bolt might work fine - or might fail at a bad time.

Winch trucks aren't "rare" so the bolts are out there - somewhere.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Antelope Valley has them for 10.25 each..........

Cheaper than the guy in Kansas, but not by much.

They're out there - and I'll find them. Even if I have to buy a whole complete setup and part it out....................................

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, Antelope Valley has 331 of the long ones. Need to get them from a yard that has them used. Heck, have you tried Barstow truck parts for used ones? They have tons of parts trucks too.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah - the guy at Barstow says they cut all their bolts when taking stuff apart and I should just go to the hardware store................

Dieselsmoke

I wonder how many people will actually put their winch in a situation that could possily make a different bolt fail. I'm more concerened with people's lack of winch operation skill.

Just my 2 cents that didn't cost a dime :twisted:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder how many people will actually put their winch in a situation that could possily make a different bolt fail. I'm more concerened with people's lack of winch operation skill.

Just my 2 cents that didn't cost a dime :twisted:
Who knows? I'm not an engineer. I want to put it together with the parts the manual calls for.