• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shovel / Axe mounts?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I have seen several examples of CUCV's and other trucks with axes/shovels mounted to the front bumper. Anyone done this and can share a source for the mounting hardware? Sure, I could get some clamps at the local hardware store but I would like it to be somewhat easy to dismount when the implement is needed :)

Scarecrow1

On many of the trucks it is called a pioneer kit and it is most seen on the Deuce,s. I have seen some on the 800 series and a couple on the 900,s. The one that may work for you would be the one off of the jeeps. From what I have seen price wise it isn't worth it to me. Lets be honest if you bog down a 900 are you really going to dig it out ? :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do a search for pioneer tool rack and M1007. With just a little creativity, the rack can be installed inside the back right in front of the side glass.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
The pioneer kits are cool. I was thinking simpler, like mounting each implement to the bumper or CUCV brush guard.

3dAngus

If you bog down a 900 series, or any other truck for that matter, you would be well advised to do some digging to preserve the winch or make it easier to pull out.

What's nuts is to try to winch or pull out a heavy truck through a verticle wall of mud, when ten minutes of digging would eliminate most of it.

Get the shovel. If nothing else, get yourself a little entrenching tool shovel, fold it up, and put it in your glove box.

Don't leave home without it.

I always keep a few spares around, and one in every vehicle...

Attachments

Last edited:

jw4x4

Duluth Trading Co. sells some nice rubber mounting clamps. I bought a few pair, but have not installed them yet.

cjcottrill

My M1008 came with the pioneer rack mounted behind the seat. It was a Marine truck. I have seen a few 1009's with the rack on the inside under the side glass, and a few mounted on the outside of the tailgate like some of the older m37's. I've also seen a few on the hood like some of the HMMV's. It could be attached to the brush guard as well.

Scarecrow1

If you bog down a 900 series, or any other truck for that matter, you would be well advised to do some digging to preserve the winch or make it easier to pull out.

What's nuts is to try to winch or pull out a heavy truck through a verticle wall of mud, when ten minutes of digging would eliminate most of it.

Get the shovel. If nothing else, get yourself a little entrenching tool shovel, fold it up, and put it in your glove box.

Don't leave home without it.

I always keep a few spares around, and one in every vehicle...
Words of wisdom . You know it's strange I keep a small garden shovel and emergency stuff in my four-runner for when I go fishing or canoing. I just don't see the need for one in my five ton ,may be because I never go anywhere I have to worry about getting stuck. Dirt roads are far and few where live and the places I fish are easy in and out locations unless someone shoes their stupidity and digs up the landing trying to get stuck. Thats why I have the kit in the Toyota just to be safe.

drove about 6 hrs on the interstate no problem - made traction on ice/snow on Donners pass (I80) a piece of cake. Missing is the 3rd strap that looped around the pinion and both hubs to the sides of the bar to tie it back and prevent side/side motion. Piece of cake for a one person pickup and move of a D70D...

48cj2a

Most of the time you can get by with a spare set of bearing, a ujoint, I've even seen off-roaders carry a spare axle shaft but a whole spare 14bolt for the trail...now thats being prepared:grin:

I used to carry a pioneer shovel behide the spare on my work M1009 and a set of NATO cables layed over it to keep it from rattling. You could also easily mod something simular to the M38A1 shovel under the hood.

1952_M38A1_15.jpg