• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show me your civilianized M1009s

jimmy-90

I am sure some wont like to see any ex-millitary rigs modified but as I see it CUCVs aren't exactly military artifacts. They are however great trucks! I de-millitarized my m1009 pretty majorly, just wanted a good solid diesel 4x4 for running around town with the occasional expedition into the mountains on logging roads or out camping on the beach. 24v starting and long gears with a fairly beefy transition suit me perfectly; certainly better than the weak 700r and 3.9-4.1 12 bolts on the civy 6.2s. I re-pained the whole thing with rustoleum, deadened the tub and laid some carpet, threw in a headless stereo and fabbed in some other minor civilian bits (dome light, inverter, compressor) Im in the process now of welding up a basket for the roof and hopefully getting a proper gauge cluster put together (with a tach, navigation, accurate speedometer etc.)
And yea i know the rear seat is a little north of insane, my GF re-upholstered it in some kind of exploding peacock print, have to come up with some alternate for that soon.
I really like that center console, back seat, and paint. Heck I'd go as far as to say that for a military blazer that thing doesn't just look good....Thats straight up pimped!!!!

Napoleon_Tanerite

Napoleon_Tanerite,

What is that over the fatmat on the floor? Also, did you install the ac kit yourself, and how much did the kit cost?

Thanks
It's just a rubber floor mat that came with the truck, nothing special. I originally intended to install the kit myself, but as soon as I opened the box I realized I was WAAAAY out of my league. The kit was $1000 from Nostalgic Air Parts, and I paid another $500 for the install.

rjinga

Here's my oldest son after he "got a little mud on the tires" on our first full day after buying our 1985 M1009. It was already slightly civilianized when we bought it (last weekend). A nearby Sheriff's Dept. got it from the military and repainted it. The fellow we bought it from added the wheels and a set of fog lights. I think that's about it so far. It's going to be my son's vehicle for now, and he's not interested in going back to military look. I'd like to keep it if/when he get something else and fix it up into a little nicer beach/mountains run-about.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sean CO

Less Civilian More Improved

Mine Has 33" Tires
- No-Spin Detroit Locker in Rear
- ORD Shackle Flip in Rear
- 1 Ton Rear Drive Line
- 3/4 Ton High Angled Front Drive Line
- 2 1/2" Rough Country Front Springs
- New Rough Country Shocks
- 700R4 Trans w/ OD and Torque Converter

Had Added a 12/24 volt inverter in the Glove Box, but it was more trouble than it was worth for me so it is still in there but bypassed.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks