• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

Nick

Today I installed the side racks and the trailer is finished. The trailer was media blasted, epoxy primed and painted. The hardest part was stripping and repairing the wood side rails. Old paint was stripped and new wood added where necessary. The old wood really soaked up the primer/sealer. I have the bows and top but it won't fit in the storage building with it on. I'm not real crazy about the new vinyl tops so I may not use the top at all.

The markings are as the trailers were in 1968 so if you wonder how to letter, this is authentic. In fact, I used the original registration number, found under the paint. Notice the last digits are 68, the year of delivery. This must have been standard practice back then. My truck is marked the same way for 1968. All the old markings were found under the layers of paint and etched into the steel. The unit designation I put on is my old Battalion but they are in the proper place and size.

Thanks to ABLinn, Saturn Surplus, Gillespie Paint, and Delta Team Decals for parts and equipment.

DARN, I checked the numbers on mine after reading that and thought I could start to tell something about the history of it. Unfortunately, mine didnt end with the year. Mine was recreated from the original numbers on the tailgate, but its a 52.
The second number is the number that is welded on two plates on both sides of the tongue "A" frame. Just thought Id re do it on the back too.

Attachments

bmink650

105 Dump in progress

I just wanted to post some progress made on my 105 dump conversion. This is my first fabrication project so try not to pay attention to the bad welding job!!! I got the hinge design from a set of dump trailer blueprints and modified it to work on the back of the 105 frame. I tacked it all together for now just to make sure it would dump. There is still a lot of work to be done but it's coming along.

Attachments

Last edited:

bmink650

For now I'll keep the tailgate the same. I'll see how it dumps when it's all done and if it gets in the way then I'll fab it into a barn door style. hopefully I won't have to though.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Brought my m105 home from docfarmall place this will make it much easier to haul everything I need to recover the m818 from MI. in the spring, as well as recover the M810 from KS. too. Just a quick shot of it as we had dinner at subway on the way home. Mrs_indy4x4fab tagged along too. She spent most of the time watching the horses run around at doc neighbor's house across the road, And a couple pictures I took today after I got home with my girls. I'm thinking I need anther one now..............the m105 makes a great play pin.

Attachments

Last edited:

mtn man

Father and law and I picked up a mint 101A2 this year... looks great tagged behind my 1008 or his 1028... you can see his dad (A Navy WWII Vet) giving it his approval. Then we put it to work... NOTE: it's easy to get them to dump... but had to use tractor to get it back down... Great trailer now if I could just get the DOT to finish the title work...

Attachments

GTO Tiger

Father and law and I picked up a mint 101A2 this year... looks great tagged behind my 1008 or his 1028... you can see his dad (A Navy WWII Vet) giving it his approval. Then we put it to work... NOTE: it's easy to get them to dump... but had to use tractor to get it back down... Great trailer now if I could just get the DOT to finish the title work...
What happened to the tailgate during your dumping procedure?

Also, you might want to read some of the posts on here regarding using a stock trailer to dump. From what I have read here, the castings where the tongue pivots are not up to the stress and will break! The tongue was made to pivot for ease of shipping NOT for dumping!

See this thread: "Yes we all know 101's aren't designed to dump!"

Rats, not sure how to make that a hot link, but search it.... lots of good info there.

mtn man

What happened to the tailgate during your dumping procedure?

Also, you might want to read some of the posts on here regarding using a stock trailer to dump. From what I have read here, the castings where the tongue pivots are not up to the stress and will break! The tongue was made to pivot for ease of shipping NOT for dumping!

See this thread: "Yes we all know 101's aren't designed to dump!"

Rats, not sure how to make that a hot link, but search it.... lots of good info there.
Prior to pulling this 'stunt' I had taken the tongue bolts out and put a washer in between. Also was going to tap for grease fittings, but didn't do that... the real issue I saw was the break line getting in a bind. After this adventure we will be using the correct equipment to move dirt...

As for the tail gate- no damage to it, trailer is still 'near' mint and the only thing bent was some ego and that license tag...

and to any others wondering that trailer may have been pushed back just a little farther for the photo...

F18hornetM

Just bought a M105 from the SS classifieds and very pleased with it. It was exactly as described by the seller.
Its a 1968 frame, with a new body/racks/bows/tires and canvas. Only work needs doing is paint the tongue and frame underneath, install new lights. Has new wiring, but i suspect they just didnt bother putting lghts on it or dissapeared at GL.

Attachments

mdcarriers

Here's my little M747. I bought it 9 months ago in Barstow, CA and pulled it all the way to GA. It was one heck of a trip with all 16 tires dry-rotted, but I made it. I put 11.00 20's on it that I bought from GL. I have repainted to Cat yellow, rewired with all new lights. I had to pay CA sales and part of GA sales tax in order to get tag and title. The last thing I need to is build an adapter for the kingpin so I can use my Freightliner to haul heavy equipment.

Attachments