• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show your 5 tons in the snow.

ghettoct

Is that a model or die cast? I gotta get one of those.
Its a model kit. Its italeri 1:35 scale " m923 "hillbilly" gun truck #6513. I was not going to get it because it was a gun truck but model kits usually a include the older versions of kits which there are three versions in this. Pretty easy kit finished it to n 2 days. Just need to camo it. Found it at hobby town USA locally for 33.00$.

Carlo

This weekend I have an APC rental to attend and my other 923A2 is out on a studio rental. So this one at the house was needed.. Only one problem allot of snow, ice under it, and a M35A2 in the way. I've know of this rental for weeks but I kept saying tomorrow, tomorrow and tomorrow for the snow will melt but it didn't so this morning was the day. This hill is steeper than the photo shows. In the summer I must use 6x6 to climb out so you can imagine allot of snow with ice under. The M35A2 had no chance even if a strapped a rocket it to it! After a few attempts I got out the chains. What a PAIN to put in chains! But it did the trick and she walked right out. The 923A2 with tire pressure set on sever didn't spin a bit. Now tomorrow I hook up image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgthe trailer and load the FV432.
Sorry this year I have not posted much photos. The snow is better than last season but nothing like years past with 50cm a snow 10 times a winter.

JarheadMtn

Carlo, Do you ever worry about slipping on the ice and ending up in the pool? I have had vehicles parked on almost level ground and they have started sliding on the ice. You would have one big car wash!!!

Carlo

Carlo, Do you ever worry about slipping on the ice and ending up in the pool? I have had vehicles parked on almost level ground and they have started sliding on the ice. You would have one big car wash!!!
I'm more worried about going down the other side. It's a 4 meter drop then a inclined 40 meter drop. I HATE that feeling of starting to slide and doing it backwards is the worst. Those chains have ice cutters on them. They were from the German army. It would have been nice if I had another set on the rear axle but they were at the shop and it's down at the flat land 2 hours plus away.
If I had a choice I would have left it there till spring but I need the rental income the APC will get me this weekend. I must be true full when I say I do like the challenge.

datadawg

I'm more worried about going down the other side. It's a 4 meter drop then a inclined 40 meter drop. I HATE that feeling of starting to slide and doing it backwards is the worst. Those chains have ice cutters on them. They were from the German army. It would have been nice if I had another set on the rear axle but they were at the shop and it's down at the flat land 2 hours plus away.
If I had a choice I would have left it there till spring but I need the rental income the APC will get me this weekend. I must be true full when I say I do like the challenge.
Wouldn't the APC be much more capable in the snow than the truck? I think I am missing something, but maybe you had to trailer the APC to the rental location?

EDIT...
I think I get it now, the deuce and a half was in your way, you had to move it... I can only imagine puckering up on that hill. I managed to get my 5 ton stuck in ankle snow on level ground near my driveway, shockingly those things are not at all capable on the snow. Why they don't have locking differentials is beyond me. I can only imagine sitting in that thing as a soldier, while being stuck in sand or snow, and the bad guys are shooting at you!! What moron did the design criteria and didn't think of capabilities to actually move in slippery ground... Ugh.

Last edited:

Shirehorse

I remember how bad our tanks used to be in the snow With their padded tracks. they're so heavy, they make their own ice. They're awesome off road in all weather, but not so much on the hardball.

I remember a lot of explatives just to get them into the fuel point. I'd imagine the M113 wouldn't be much different.

Another Ahab

I'm more worried about going down the other side. It's a 4 meter drop then a inclined 40 meter drop. I HATE that feeling of starting to slide and doing it backwards is the worst.
If I had a choice I would have left it there till spring but I need the rental income the APC will get me this weekend. I must be truthful when I say I do like the challenge.
Glad for your satisfaction at a challenge, Carlo, but sure hoping you don't go dropping any 40 meters. We need you here!

brasco

M923A2 in Snow

This is a picture of my latest M923A2 in the snow. We had about 6 inches of snow on the ground when I parked it and another 4-5 inches the next day. I was going to take it for a drive in the field but batteries were dead.

Indy M923A2 in Snow.jpg

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a chance to get out and try the truck out in the new snow we got last night. I got a few pictures while I was out.

I also got my wife to go out with me for a little while. This is the first time since I got the truck. She originally said she would "never ride in that stupid thing". I caught her smiling a few times, I think she likes it but she is still being stubborn!

Truck8.jpgTruck9.jpgTruck10.jpg

brasco

I had a chance to get out and try the truck out in the new snow we got last night. I got a few pictures while I was out.

I also got my wife to go out with me for a little while. This is the first time since I got the truck. She originally said she would "never ride in that stupid thing". I caught her smiling a few times, I think she likes it but she is still being stubborn!

View attachment 545300View attachment 545301View attachment 545302
Good looking truck... looks like fun in the snow!

Carlo

image.jpgimage.jpg
Wouldn't the APC be much more capable in the snow than the truck? I think I am missing something, but maybe you had to trailer the APC to the rental location?

EDIT...
I think I get it now, the deuce and a half was in your way, you had to move it... I can only imagine puckering up on that hill. I managed to get my 5 ton stuck in ankle snow on level ground near my driveway, shockingly those things are not at all capable on the snow. Why they don't have locking differentials is beyond me. I can only imagine sitting in that thing as a soldier, while being stuck in sand or snow, and the bad guys are shooting at you!! What moron did the design criteria and didn't think of capabilities to actually move in slippery ground... Ugh.
You got it. My trailer is down at the shop. After that photo of me getting out the 923A2 I hooked up the trailer and hauled the APC.
All my APC's and MBT's have rubber pads. There is nothing much more scary then these on ice! I can't bring any of my armor to my house in the winter. My road is mine and it's a about 3/4 kilometer long inclined. It was cement but it's rotted and decayed. Plowing it is out of the question it rips the plow to parts. I need a new asphalt. No snow in the flat lands.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks