• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show your 5 tons in the snow.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Motormd

I am a member of a local snowmobile trail grooming club. Is there any chance that a 5 ton or a deuce could pull a 3000 pound drag to groom snomo trails. If you have a few minutes to chat someday my #is 231-631-2263 Joe

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pure speculation but, I doubt it unless you can have some snow tracks made for the back. Virgin snow or thin packed snow maybe, thick light pack from snowmobiles, progress with tire chains probably wouldn’t be pretty. These things are HEAVY with not a lot of ground contact...

Another Ahab

Pure speculation but, I doubt it unless you can have some snow tracks made for the back. Virgin snow or thin packed snow maybe, thick light pack from snowmobiles, progress with tire chains probably wouldn’t be pretty. These things are HEAVY with not a lot of ground contact...
But then we miss all the fun of watching the near-hopeless recovery from our armchairs:

AA.jpg

Last edited:

162tcat

I can tell you from experience it will make a mess in deep snow. I have had mine in very deep snow on the logging roads with chains on all six tires. It keeps on going until you get too much snow packed in front of it. It will keep digging down till it hits gravel. Not a good idea for grooming. I normally run some extra weight in the back as well to assist with traction. Flotation is not an option in these trucks! I'm on XZL 53's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motormd

Thanks for the replys I was hoping that a chained up military vehicle could be made to work. Guess I'm back to putting tracks on a conventional 1 ton and possibly adding a front diff locker. I've been reading thru posts and it sounds like you are all a great bunch of guys. And I may yet buy a deuce or a 5 ton! Are There any other surplus military vehicles I should look at?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks