• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show your 5 tons in the snow.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like no tire chains on grader? tsk tsk. tsk. :rolleyes: .. i went out sanding on ice decades ago with dual chains on the back but it was also the one time i didn't chain at least one of the steer tires.. Darn near got fired for it

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And they tried to blame me for them getting stuck saying I was too close on the other side. No numb nuts you tried to plow a drift without AWD and no chains, you didn’t plow it for 4 days and let it build up as high as it is and you didn’t give it any speed.
...and some people laugh because I run tire chains 100% of the time on my plow trucks on a long private road and off-road acreage that has to be kept open .. 50% of the time I have to be into places where the chains sure do their job .. Funny how I am the one they call whenever they get their plow hung up high in a bank or the whole side of their vehicle stuffed into a roadside snowbank.. On a different note, one of my M818's had the honor of recovering someones large farm tractor/loader that went thru pond ice while skidding logs, deep enough where the engine sucked water , all during a 3ft snowstorm of all things.. They called the only commercial rotator-wrecker in the county only to find out it wouldn't go off-road nor did it have enough line to reach it.. It would be years until I obtained a M62, ,, thus tag, the M818 was it.. And yes, I grabbed the one that had a heater. :LOL: ( a lot of good it did, hardly kept the windows de-iced, as usual) .. Cardboarded the radiator which got it warmed up while putting the spare set of chains on it, but of course the minute I got rolling good, all the heat was gone out of the cab :rolleyes: .. Just like the army days, IF we were lucky enough to be given the logbook/key to a truck having a heater.. They were very few and far between in the units i was in, especially the one continually doing winter training for west german deployment.. They say I was a cold war veteran. Darn straight. We were fighting the cold all the time, and we usually lost !!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks