• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shrevport,LA to tampa

alanb

Picking up Duece on Wed. the 5th. Going down 49 to 12/10 interstate to 75 south
to Tampa. If anyone along this route could give an assist (if needed ie; technical
advice or a place to work on the duece) would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

alanb

Recovery of my M35a2c

Well, it all started when I left on the 4th when I had not received the filter set that I had ordered on the 27th of Dec. The filters did arrive on the 5th of Jan. but I was already in Shrevport. I was at the base at 8:30am when the security guy said that the guy who was to let me pick-up was running late, and they were trying to get someone who could cover. New guy showed up 45 min. later, it's now almost 9:30am. Keep in mind I only had till 12:00 to get my truck. When I got to the DRMO lot he said I had to wait for Brent (original guy) to go into lot to get truck, waited another 45min to an hour. Time 10:40am. Finnaaaallly got to go check out the duece. Batteries dead, swapped batteries. My batteries were not the same size and didn't have the right length cable to cross over. At this point I started to get worried but the DRMO lot is in the same place as the base rental center and the repair man, Lyle whom I was talking to earlier and learned that we were in Korea, doing maneuvers at about the same time, made a cross over cable for me. God does put people in front of you when you need them.
Now with fingers crossed bumped the motor, turned over, no hydro lock. flipped
switch and she fired right up. Thank you Lord. Did a quicky pm and out the lot I go. Time 11:35. 25 min to spare. About the time I start feeling really good, about 5 blocks after leaving the DRMO lot, while still on base, the lower radiator hose blows. Went to the gate and told security and they gave me a pass till 6pm. Fixed hose and drove to hotel. Called 2 napa's to get the filters I needed and they still didn't have the right gaskets. So I then took the truck to Parson's Diesel repair and they changed the filters and changed the oil (that I brought with me. The owner was a vet and gave me a really good deal. If in Shreveport and need a good mech. now you know where to go.
Next day drove 960 miles home ok except a ip leak at one of the fuel rail lines and when I got close to home it would die unless it pulled out the throttle to keep it above 1500 rpm. could that be because of the ip leaking and if it was why didn't it do it before that? Any thoughts would help. All in all a great trip!
except having to clean the wifes Prius because of the diesel fuel spitting out.
My son asked when he could drive it. "look dad I can reach the pedals" is what he said when he got in it. Oh No, another green machine addict in the making!

Attachments

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the safe trip! Nice to see another 6x6 in the area. If you need any help working on the new toy let me know.

Also, are you going to the Richloam rally next month?

Ruppster

alanb

Hey Ruppster! Thanks, it was fun. I'm trying to get ready to go to Richloam. Problem tho, while getting close to home base it kept trying to stale. Had to keep the throttle open to keep it running. I'm going to change the oil again, which was a little low by the time I got home, and all filters too. Apparently the Air Force was using wvo as fuel. Don't know if I filtered it all out the first time. Will give it a go tho. Also the nut above the hh for the fuel line is also leaking, loosened and then retightened so hope that helps.:?

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey Alan, sounds like you might have an air leak. It would be in your best interest to change all the fuel filters, the in tank screen, and check all fuel lines and fittings. 95% of running problems on a Deuce are simple fuel delivery problems that can be eliminated with little work. If you need a hand let me know I can show you around the truck.

Shes a great lookin' truck!

alanb

Longuecaribine thanks. I was pleasantly surprised how good of condition it was in. It also had
a few goodies in the truck too. Atire inflator with gauge still in the box, chock bloks,cargo cover
and bows, and a lug wrench. Cargo cover has some of the seams open but a member on SS suggested a fix, so should not be a problem. One of the wood bows is broken and they all need to be painted. But all in all a good haul.

Sixspeed, I think your probably right. I have a new set waiting at the post office and will get
them when it opens up on Monday. When I dipped the tank there was a lot of sludge in the bottom of the tank, probably from the wvo that the AF used, thinking it might be a good idea
to clean the fuel tank. The in tank screen.. is it suppose to be right inside when you open the fuel cap? If it is there isn't one. Thanks and I might take you up on the walk around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks