• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shut down selinoid failed, opinions needed.

What would you choose.

• Total voters

ODdave

Shut down solenoid failed, opinions needed.

So the shutdown solenoid on my 1028 has let got. I want to know what you guys think about my replacment options. Replace the solenoid with the factory electronic one, OR set it up like the deuce with a mechanical pull cable. I have the cable from the deuce allredy.

My bigest consern with the pull cable is security, the up side is i could bump start it easy. The new soleinoid is around $160, but its an easy swap. What do you guys think (dont let cost be the deciding factor, I want to know what you would rather have)

Last edited:

dstang97

I just re-read your post. If it is the cummins 1028 try and wd40 the linkage. i had this same problem yesterday with my 98.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just re-read your post. If it is the cummins 1028 try and wd40 the linkage. i had this same problem yesterday with my 98.
I read all the way to here before I realized that this was a truck that had been highly modified with an engine and trans swap. It might be nice to let people know this before asking for help for a vehicle we all think is stock.

Rick

ODdave

I read all the way to here before I realized that this was a truck that had been highly modified with an engine and trans swap. It might be nice to let people know this before asking for help for a vehicle we all think is stock.

Rick
Mabye, but didnt think it would matter being the opinion i am asking for is from inside the truck. I am the one doing the work and buying the parts, Therfore the rest shouldnt matter.
I dont want to come across as an azz i just didnt want a bunch of "advise" on how it should be done. Just want an oppinion if you would rather pull a cable or turn a key.

Last edited:

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, The reason I said that is because I am familiar with the GM system and not real familiar with the Cummins. I would offer that you replace the solenoid on a GM because there are other things tied into it. The Cummins I do not know the shut down system but I have had problems with shut down solenoids on construction equipment so I would vote for a cable. Better yet, new solenoid with cable backup if feasible.

Rick

ODdave

Well i tried to edit my title so i did not look like an iliterate fool but it didnt work. Typing when tired is'nt a good thing. Thanks for the input guys.

stampy

I voted for the electric original, solenoids don't fail that often and make life easier, I would think it would actually be more of a pain to put in a manual shutoff and have to actuate it every time to shut off the truck and have to lubricate it, etc. Heck I thought about putting a solenoid on my deuce (Mine is switched so it has a key)