• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shut down

Swede

Ok, if this doesnt work, i will look through the whole forum and manuals.

My truck wont start. Now, i hear the relay. But if I let the glow plugs warm up, after about 30sec.+ i get a wierd buzz behind dash. other then the relays cause i have them laying on floor to look at. I have no clue what is going on.

What are the steps in the starting method so i can properly troubleshoot.

Swede

ok, i have 12 on each, 24 combined....I turn the switch to let the wait light go, and while waiting it dims out. Thats bad ground? or is there a voltage regulator?

littlebob

Why are the relays on the floor? They might have to be grounded to operate. Has it ever run since you've had it or did you change something? Like said above
I usually would think a low battery or bad connections, but the relays on the floor info has me wondering what else is could be causing problems

littlebob

Swede

this happen all before i put the relays on the floor, I put them on the floor to locate the clatter buzz noises.... I will relocate the relays, but I think I was told to unbolt them so if it ever sticks you can yank the relay out to avoid the Starter burning up. That is if I heard them correctly. My truck has run like a champ till this point. Only problem is a couple hard starts due to the Fuel filter letting air in so I have to park down hill.

My wife drove my truck, parked nose up, making air in line, strained it starting it. Thats when all this occured.

Swede

Not anything now. What is the little device to the right of the glow bug relay on the fire wall right behind the motor?? that is where the clatter comes when i let the key in on position. everything dies out if I let it in the on position. but I'm still getting 24v combined on batteries.

JohnFire

I am wondering if your resister block has gone bad, hopefully someone that knows better will chime in on that one. If it is that, I plan on taking the bike out tommorrow, first out to Lewisburg, and if it sounds like it could be that I can bring the resistor block down that I pulled out of my M1009 when I converted to 12V.

littlebob

Swede , Not a CUCV owner, but the basics apply to all MV. I'm sorry I don't have an easy answer, but it still sounds like you have a bad connection if you have 24V at the batteries. There all kind of possiblities on an older vehicle and I can't go through every scenario. I'm not familiar with the TM's on this site that pertain to the CUCV, but thier might be a troubleshooting guide that would help you diagnose., Check the voltage at the starter and at the solinoid.
If you've got voltage at the starter you may be able to jump a connection between the two terminals on the starter solinoid and see if it turns over
good luck
littlebob

Swede

thanks fellas, i will crawl all around this truck tomorrow. I am going to look through it all. I cant find a wiring schematic, but hope to find one soon.

Swede

Ok, I got it runing withthe help of all the members here. Now i let my truck Idle, and i had a bit of smoke comming off the resistor against the fire wall. Normal? or what could it be?

mangus580

Locate the glow plug solenoid. With the truck off, check for continuity between the large terminals. We are checking to see if maybe your glow plug relay is stuck on.

Alternativly. You can check for voltage on the 'output' side of it with it running (be sure the glow plugs arent cycling any more for proper results)

Swede

ok.i think they gave me the wrong thing. They gave me a starter solenoid instead of a glow plug relay, i now am getting the glow plug relay. But i think it already messed my resistor up. because im getting 24 volts to the relay..... What should i do to find out if it bad.

mangus580

starter solenoid = glow plug relay... basically the same thing.

The real question would be... do you get 24v there while the glow plugs are on?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks