• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shut off Deuce when Refueling, or let it run?

peashooter

Just curious how many of you shut off your deuce or let it run while refueling? If you are supposed to let it idle to cool down for 5 minutes before shutting off it seems like an added pain when refueling (besides the cost of that much fuel). So assuming your truck has a good working parking brake, what do you do?

Capt.Marion

I always shut any vehicle off while I'm refueling, including the Deuce. (Even if I'm on a long trip.) I don't bother idling for 5 minutes... at my usual fuel stop, I get a good couple of minutes of idling/low-rev running done maneuvering around the parking lot before I actually get situated at the pump.

Generally the 5-minute rule for idling before shutdown doesn't have to be observed that strictly--as long as you're just idling around a parking lot or driving slowly through the neighborhood as you approach your house, you should be good to go to go ahead and shut her off. As long as there's some time for the turbo to cool down where you aren't running balls to the wall, you're all set.

Flyingvan911

If I'm going to fill up and hit the road right away I'll let it idle. If I'm going to go in for soda or something I'll shut it down and chain the steering wheel.

wsucougarx

Leave her running while refueling. Haha, people won't even look me in the eye when I stop for fuel in my MV's. They do the quick look away when I make eye contact. Must think I'm a crazy nut...haha

deuceaid

Banned
in kalifornia with all our warning stickers, they say to turn off the vehicle before fueling ( fire-explosion hazzard)

A bunch of Dumb Ducks enforced those labels,,,,,,, if I shouldnt have a motor running when filling up,,,, then that means EVERYONE NEEDS to COAST INTO THE GAS STATION!!!!!!!!! yeah right..

..I also hate that stupid oregon law,, I am not an invalid, I can fill my gas tank while smoking and talking on my cellphone.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I leave all my diesel vehicles running while refueling. Less wear and tear on batts and starter for such a short stop. 2cents

Tlauden

I never shut off any vehicle while I'm refueling... Seems pointless to shut em down for a 2 minute stop...

This is an observation I did take notice to though:

People never complain about a running vehicle at the diesel pump

People always seem to get upset about a running vehicle at the gas pump...
Ex: I pull in to put gas in my f150, set the Ebrake, get out, start gassing her up. At this point the lady standing at the other side of the pump says you better shut your truck off or you will start fire. I kindly tell her it's unlikely a fire will start, and I continue pumping fuel... Well long story short she wasn't happy and in the end I ended up telling her I'll pump fuel with my vehicles running weather she likes it or not... She was a mean old bi... Well nvm that part :p

Sorry I got sidetracked there. To answer the original question it's truly up to you if you keep it running or kill the engine. As others said before, les wear and tear if you keep it running

Truckoholic

I almost always shut all of my vehicles off when fueling including my big trucks. For one, when you spend so many hours behind the wheel of a truck listening to the engine noise, it is nice to get a few minutes of quiet when putting fuel in. I don't do it because I am afraid of fire hazard. Nor do I do it because I know others at the station expect me to. Just my own personal preference.