• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sid Beck out of parts business?

Nickathome

Heard on G741.org that Sid Beck is getting out or has gotten out of the parts business....Ill health is forcing his decision due to not being able to climb into his box cars full of parts.

I truly hope this isn't true because Sid is probably the best source of M37 parts around.

Wishing Sid the best...

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw some posts on one of the Power Wagon forums too Nick. I hate to hear it - I have had the pleasure with dealing with Sid on several occasions and Ol' Blue could still use his help. I hope that maybe someone in his area could jump in to assist.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
man what a loss i meet him on the road and i picked up a set of combat rims for a m37.. he is one of the best guys... i need to check in with him to see about his health..

Nickathome

I saw some posts on one of the Power Wagon forums too Nick. I hate to hear it - I have had the pleasure with dealing with Sid on several occasions and Ol' Blue could still use his help. I hope that maybe someone in his area could jump in to assist.
Yeah, I too hope somebody will jump in and continue Sid's legacy. I'd hate to see such a good source for parts dry up or fall onto some unscrupulous individual who prefers dollar signs over honesty and decency....

tjmilitary

Hey nick thats the truth. Seems like alot of these guys are just getting too money hungry and dont really care
about preserving the trucks anymore. They hord all of the parts and charge you an arm and leg. Sid is a great
guy and have purchased many parts over the years. Hate to see him give it up but I know he has been struggling
with some medical issues. Hope everything turns out ok.

citizensoldier

Man this is sad! I will never forget my first purchase from him.. I called him, chatted with him about M37's told him what I was looking for got some prices, and bang! Two days later it was at my doorstep and not one penny exchanged. Now that is something you don't see anymore! TRUST in the hobby.. Maybe somebody honest,fair,and reasonable down that way can negotiate a buyout so he can retire in peace.

Nickathome

Man this is sad! I will never forget my first purchase from him.. I called him, chatted with him about M37's told him what I was looking for got some prices, and bang! Two days later it was at my doorstep and not one penny exchanged. Now that is something you don't see anymore! TRUST in the hobby.. Maybe somebody honest,fair,and reasonable down that way can negotiate a buyout so he can retire in peace.
Same here. One of my first orders with Sid was an NOS steering box. The unit was sitting on my front porch and I hadn't even sent him a dime. My first thought was "wow this guy is really trusting in people", then I realized what I had in someone like that. There aren't many people like that left and its a great feeling to have someone like that to rely on. I've not been able to find anyone before or since who would do that for a fellow in need. Most want the money in hand first then its you who must trust that they will keep their end of the bargain. Sid spreads trust by his business practices.

armytruck63

I will pass this on to my dad (not on SS - yet). He has known Sid since the seventies. We too, bought M37 parts from him over the years.

I hope for the best for Sid.

Mike_L

Sorry to hear that news. Last I talked to him in December he had said he was a bit distracted with other stuff going on. Still, my order showed up a couple of days later and about a week after that an invoice showed up. I seem to remember he said something about being in Europe looking for parts in the Fall.

M-37Bruce

Sad Day 4 All

Sorry to hear that news. Last I talked to him in December he had said he was a bit distracted with other stuff going on. Still, my order showed up a couple of days later and about a week after that an invoice showed up. I seem to remember he said something about being in Europe looking for parts in the Fall.
That was the last I heard as well. I emailed him this afternoon, no replies yet, I guess I call him after work tomorrow? Seems we all have a Sid Beck story!
Wish I could do it!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went by Sid's place last year to pick some stuff up. He thought he was doing better but had just gotten some bad news recently. He's got an amazing place full of parts and he'll be missed by many for his knowledge and ability if he is actually getting out.