• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Signal lights

natemccabe

I am new to this site and have just purchased my first M1009 about two months ago. After reading some of the horror stories on here I count myself as lucky that I have no major mechinicle problems. I do have two rather annoyining minnor issuses though. First, the wipperes only work on high and occasionaly on low, learning about the ground wire under the dash I jiggled it and low worked again for the day, now it's back to high speed to get em going again. Second, when my service light are on for an extended period of time, I live in Fairbanks so it doesn't really get dark enough here in the summer for full time night driving, the right blinker light will come on and stay light for 30 minutes turn off again and then come on again. I'm hoping for a more experienced wrench turners advice for the fixes to my mediocre woes. Thanks in advance...

natemccabe

another silly question, and before it gets said, no I cannot read a wireing schematic, I'm trying to put a 12 v cig lighter in to power various stuff, mostly my cell charger, I'm wondering what side of the big resistors in the engine compartment is twelve volts. There's a large terminal block, like what's in the rear seat for the radios on the pass side. I had the plug wired to that at first, but my kids are real good at yanking on wires so I'm runnin to the engine bay. I found out the hard way that the one in the rear is 24 v but plugging an inverter to it an immediy having it self destruct, that you walmart for a no questuons asked return policy... The is a round cylinder thing in the engine bay marked 12 v cont. Would it be safe to hook an extra wire to that?

beanman1

in the center of the engine bay on the fire wall there is a 12v power block get you 12v source from there and also on the fuse box you can get 12 power cant remember which one but here is a pic of the 12v power block

Attachments

natemccabe

thanks beanman, I just didn't know what was what under there, didn't want to accidentally fry anything. Fr a ground there is a spade connector bolted to the drivers side fender up by the brake release handle, figured out that was loose in the quest to fix my wippers!

mistaken1

Depending on the size of your inverter you should consider running new wires from the front battery. Fuse both sides just to be safe (minimum fuse the positive wire).

Shop Rat Fab

With the service light bulb removed look in the bulb socket, there should be a tab that grounds to the side of the bulb base, those tabs break off and you lose ground. You can get a new socket or just take a piece of short stripped wire, make a U bend in it so it makes contact with the bulb and whats left of the tab on the side. Caution make sure the wire is not too long so it doesn't contact the hot side in the bottom of the bulb socket. Sorry no pix.