• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Signs of an old motor?

galeo7171

What are the signs that a diesel motor needs to be replaced. I ask because I have an 86 cucv blazer with 123k miles on it. It seems like it uses a little bit of oil, but it doesn't have any oil leaks. What should I look for to tell me if I need a new motor?

JAsher45

first off pull an oil sample..and send it to get tested... that is the best way to see how much wear you have going on in your engine......pull the glow plugs and do a compression check on the cylinders... this will tell you if your rings are wearing

Re: RE: Signs of an old motor?

ssgtwright-usmc said:
Someone here said something like (a diesel isnt broken in until it reaches a 100,000 miles), is that true or some wise tail.
its true. most time they are more efficent and run better once they get the miles on them. we have ran dodges and such with a cummins at 2-300k and they seem to run better then new. just gotta keep on the maintnance and million miles here we come :D

kcimb

RE: Re: RE: Signs of an old motor?

My old benz had 400k on the clock and still ran great, but it was an I-5 and your chevy is a v8?

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Re: RE: Signs of an old motor?

kcimb said:
...and your chevy is a v8?
Correct.

Other than leaky seals and such from sitting and age these 6.2L's should be in great shape. Lots of folks on here and CK5 have 6.2L's in this era GM truck with well over 200k on them.

scooter01922

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Signs of an old motor?

I think that depends largely on the model engine your discussing. As far as cummins go i would concur, 100K or so is the broken in point :)

ssgtwright-usmc

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Signs of an old motor?

ssgtwright-usmc wrote:
Someone here said something like (a diesel isnt broken in until it reaches a 100,000 miles), is that true or some wise tail.

Offroadfabworks wrote:
its true. most time they are more efficent and run better once they get the miles on them. we have ran dodges and such with a cummins at 2-300k and they seem to run better then new. just gotta keep on the maintnance and million miles here we come

Ifyou dont see any leaks then I would just replace the valves and seals and also replace the piston rings

galeo7171

It is a chevy 6.2. I don't know how well the military maintains their vehicles. Mine came from Ft. Jackson, SC and had 122k miles on it when it was released to GL. I'm hoping they took care of it. This is my first diesel, so every knock, tick, smoke, etc makes me question..

ssgtwright-usmc

The military does a fine job of maintaining the vehicles when the parts are available due to each unit has a yearly budget allowance.
The military does a 3 part PM check, (Before driving, during driving and Post driving). These PMs are done by the driver of the vehicle.
He turns the sheet into the Motor Pool and they will decide if the vehicle should be dead-lined for repairs and will do regular maintenance to the vehicle at the same time.
The military is alot better then most of us when it comes to checking the vehicle out before driving.

ssgtwright-usmc

If there is a Cord above your head and when you pull down on it and it goes (Chhoooo, Chhoooooo) then you know you have an old engine!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks