• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Signs of dirty fuel tank/Sender.????

ssgtwright-usmc

Just wondering,
What are the signs that your fuel tank has alot of jelly like fuel in the tank or that the fuel sender sock is clogged?
I know, take the tank off and look but that is kinda of a hassel to go that far.
Would the vehicle not get to regular driving speed if you were trying to reach lets say, 55mph?
I have a new sender to put in but I do not know how to reach the rubber fuel hoses connecting the sender to the fuel line.
Cant beleive they didnt add a trap door in the cab of the M1008 so you would have access to disconnect these hoses.
For some reason I do beleive I have bad fuel in the tank.
I am going to change the sender out sooner or later since It gives me false fuel readings.
Have attempted a few times but I am unable to reach those rubber hoses to disconnect them before i drop the tank.
With the tank off I will clean the inside the best I can.
Just wondering what are the signs of bad fuel and clogged sender sock.

ssgtwright-usmc

I was tinkering at the idea of taking the front bed section off and maybe it would give me enough clearance to replace the sender unit.
If Im able to do that then I might be able to inspect the inside of the fuel tank to look for any type of crud.
This is my only vehicle and me being new in Hawaii, dont know to many people that I can ask for help in removing the tank or even the bed of the truck.

CCATLETT1984

you can drop the tank by yourself rather easy.

Dont try to drop it when its full. Get it as close to empty as you can. Before you drop it, look at the two "straps" that hold the tank on for rust/rot. Being that you are in HI, it may be a part that would have to be ordered. If the straps look fine then no need to replace them.

ssgtwright-usmc

The straps looks fine, I am too afraid to drop the tank by myself due to the rubber connectors still be attached.
Im am unable to reach them from in between the cab and bed of truck.
Plus, my truck has a 4" lift which makes it easy to work under but Im afraid of breaking any fuel lines if I did do it myself.

ssgtwright-usmc

Will try and do that in the morning.
The rubber hoses from the sender unit to the fuel lines themselfs do look to be dry rotted and cracked from what I can see from looking between the cab and the bed of truck.
What size rubber hose should I get before I remove the tank.
With my luck, the rubber hoses probably does have a crack in it which is allowing air into the system which is making it look like Im having a transmission problem.
Doesnt want to shift when getting to about 45mph until you let of the gas and let the engine/transmission catch again to be able to get some more speed.
If you know what size rubber hose to get will be of great help.