• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Silent Fuel Pump

Akicita

Lately, my engine only turned over on the 2nd or 3rd attempt with the starter button. I suspected the fuel pump was the culprit but I replaced the primary fuel filter today and the truck started better. I'll try again in daylight tomorrow morning to see if that is all it took to correct the problem.

My question is about the fuel pump. I read in several threads here that some of you guys actually hear your pump run. I don't hear mine at all. I know it's working 'cause fuel gets to the engine but I cannot hear it. Now, some of you are gonna think I spent too much time listening to that multifuel engine but my hearing is still pretty good.

I wonder why my pump runs silently while others apparently don't. Any ideas ?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
With the motor off, turn your main power switch on and go to your tank, if you cant hear the pump running it's bad, or you have a blown fuse under the cover where the power plug is.

DieselBob

Easy way to check is open the bleeder on top of the secondary/final filter and turn the master switch on. If the pump is working you will get a small scale version of old faithful coming out the bleeder. I would have to say if you can't hear it, it's not running. The truck will run on the mechanical pump most of the time with no problems. I didn't know my in tank pump had stopped working until I changed filters and went to bleed them and nothing came out.

Last edited:

Akicita

Bob,
I bled the system at the 2nd and final filter after installing the new primary filter.
First I saw bubbles and then came fuel.
I can stand right next to the truck and I still don't hear that pump.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bob,
I bled the system at the 2nd and final filter after installing the new primary filter.
First I saw bubbles and then came fuel.
I can stand right next to the truck and I still don't hear that pump.
Well then, thats that.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

Schedule a hearing test. . . . :razz:

DieselBob

Well if you have fuel coming from the bleeder with only the master on then it must be working. All the deuces I have been around you could hear the pump running sitting in the cab. Go figure. Maybe you have a special stealth pump. :smile:

Akicita

Thanks for your 2nd reply, Bob.
I wonder if the silence is due to a partial clog, or something else that needs attention.
I can't do anything in the dark now anyway.

DieselBob

Really don't have a clue at this point. They are pretty simple in design and not real high tech. It's simple enough to pull the pump and check the screen on the bottom.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any hearing loss? Those pumps are loud with the engine off. I can hear my pump in the cab with the engine off and can also hear it with the engine running if I'm standing beside the tank.

Are you sure somebody hasn't installed a aftermarket in-line pump? I'm unsure if the aftermarket pumps make noise or not.

Akicita

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I started the truck yesterday just to test fuel flow, and I took the old girl out for a Sunday drive today. Everything seems to work fine BUT I cannot hear the pump. Even with the engine off, there is no noise from the tank.

m16ty, my hearing is good.
I haven't pulled the pump yet but it may be a newer pump for all I know at this point.
Since nobody seems to think this may be something I should worry about, I'll leave it alone.