• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simple Manual Glow Plug Switch Question

DanR7985

As the title says this is a simple question. I am going to do the manual glow plug switch on my 1985 M1009. It looks very very simple. I have two simple questions though.

1: What gauge wire should I splice in the blue wire with and what gauge to run the ground? I am electrically challenged and have no clue. I searched high and low, but I could not for the life of me find an answer.

2: Would I be safe to assume that I should put an inline 20amp fuse between the splice and the manual switch itself?

3: Is there a certain amp rated switch that I have to have? For example do I have to have a 20 amp or do I need 30amp etc?

These might be on an electric diagram, but I can't read them. I've tried over and over and I have no clue what any of it means.

I appreciate greatly the answers. I was going to go dove hunting Saturday, but I couldn't get my blazer started when it ran and started fine the day before. It has new batteries and glow plugs. After trouble shooting I am 90% sure it's the controller card.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
14 ga wire and no fuse. It is fused on the positive side. A manual pushbutton on the light blue wire is simply grounding the relay coil to activate it. I'd use a 20 amp rated pushbutton.

1stSarge

These might be on an electric diagram, but I can't read them. I've tried over and over and I have no clue what any of it means..
After trouble shooting I am 90% sure it's the controller card.
What did you do to troubleshoot it?

Wouldn’t you rather fix the problem that might easily be a bad connection, rather than hack the wiring? The level of support on this forum is outstanding for such endeavors.

The typical glow plug relay normally draws less than 2 amps, and is already fused with the 20 amp Engine Control Fuse (#17 on the fuse block diagram). The original wire is 18 gauge SXL.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks