• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simple Problem

SixBuy

It's the simple things... This one is the oil filter gasket - The copper washer on top of the cannister under the thru-bolt. Leaks like a sieve and every attempt to clean and retighten just makes it worse. TM9-2815-210-34P shows it in Fig 17 as item 4 (part # 7748905 - part of kit # 5702659). Anybody know a good Quartermaster? Does anybody know of a source for something that will work?

Desert Rat

They need to be replaced every time you change oil. They should be included with the filter and o-ring.

Jim145

Ok here is a quick fix, I had to do this to mine.... take an old bicycle tire tube or any tire tube cut out a piece to fit the top, poke a hole in it so the bolt will go thru this with the copper washer and you should be leak free.

The piece of rubber should over lap the outside of the copper washer, very unnoticeable.

SixBuy

Thanks DR and JimR,

Gonna try the DIY approach. I put in Baldwin P20-HD filters and the top copper gasket was not included.

Wyattearp

If i am not mistaken i believe the Napa oil filters #1133 comes with all the gaskets, I replace those on the engine im replacing when i first got it, like i said if memory serves me correctly everything was there and the gaskets with those filters fit the housings...

Okay its early i pulled 12 so don't be to hash on me if im wrong... :banghead:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wix and the fram filters come with the gaskets. The napa filters are wix so they will have them also.

Hi,

our filters came with all the seals.

What confused me was that there was a rubber o-ring seal and a flat paper seal for the base of the filter housing. I couldn't imagine how to install the o-ring, so I just left it out. There is a groove in the base where one could squeeze an o-ring into, but the OD of the o-ring is slightly too small to fit into it. The paper seal alone works fine and the system is leak free, so I guess it's all right.

Still, anyone knows what the rubber ring is for?

Cheers,

Mark

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, These filters fit many different engines. And so the filter companies include all gaskets. I believe the 6-71 detorit diesel uses the rubber o-ring.

Jones

For an on-the-road fix. If the copper seal isn't too chewed up you can anneal it by heating up to "way too hot to touch" with a small hand torch and dropping it into a bucket of water. (Copper anneals just the opposite of steel). This'll turn it back to "dead soft" and it should seal OK again.
Hope this helps, Jones

SixBuy

Thanks guys, next time I'll buy the NAPA filters and get the copper gasket. I bought a sheet of .018 copper and cut out a gasket, 1.00 in. ID x 1.375 in. OD. Works fine!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
try using a oil drain plug copper washer, ive used these on about everything to stop this kind of leak, there thicker then the stock copper washers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks