• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simple question

hwcurtice

Say you have an m101a2 trailer. It has bows and cover and you've done a few things to make it easier to use, LED lights and a wheeled tongue jack.

Now, you've been looking at the newer trailers, m1101/02. Dang they look nice. Nice tie downs in the bed. Some even have hardtops!

Question: would you sell your m101a2 and buy a m1101/02?

Why or why not?

harleyhouse

Yes I would! I have spent alot of time on my 101A2 and it is how I wanted it.
But I see the 1101, 1102 trailers and think....................They would look better and
give a little more room for camping.

The only negative I see is that they are wider than my 2500HD and the 101A2 is not.
Now I just need to find a good deal on a 1101/1102.

Attachments

91W350

I have four, M105A3... hate it! Tongue heavy, poorly designed jack.. M105, great for the deuce, a load for anything else. 101s, I use them about every day in the yard, hauling converters, batteries, iron, radiators, starters, alternators, nice handy trailers! Then there is the M1102. nice and light, convenient tie downs, pulls nicely, even at 70 mph. The 1102 is my favorite, but I use the 101s more so I do not destroy that nice aluminum shell.

hwcurtice

What tilt feature?

I like my m101a2, I just wish it was lower, easier to load and unload, and weatherproof. Oh, and towing it behind my Dakota is a joke, but that's the Dakota's fault, not the trailer.

I suppose I could put another $500 into it, tires, axle and such to make it tow easier (See lower) but would it be worth it? I'd have to do something similar to the m1101/02.

Sheesh, I don't even use the surge brake. Never have enough weight in the thing to need it. Don't even know it it works!

I've already put the LEDs on it. Got a female adapter to mount on the hitch so I can use it through the RV connector. The hitch itself is so high, to keep it level, that I can't open my tailgate on the truck with out denting it (Thank you to the person that did)

And now, with the swarm of newer trailers coming out, prices on the m1101/02 are about what I paid for mine from GL. Of course, buying from real people, the price triples. Saw one going for $2,000 a few months ago... Like I said, sheesh...

3dAngus

The Pacific Coast has the highest prices by far for MV related vehicles. I would sell a M1101/1102 in excellent condition for $995 here.

I like them all. They all have different purposes for different applications. You just have to decide what to use them for. And if nothing else, if you're smart enough to buy one with a cover, you can just park it and use it for extra storage, provided you are not in a HOA. The M101A2 is the easiest to use. The M1101/1102 is the best overall with the aluminum body but it's wide so it is not quite as convenient to work with. Top of the line for all around useage? The M101A3. It will take a full sheet of plywood with the tailgate up. And if it is to high, just put some GMC 2500 wheels on it and lower it. You can get them on craigslist, sell the HMMWV wheels and break even. I would etch and paint the chrome wheels from the GMC camo, unless you plan on converting the whole trailer to something more civilian like, with civy doll paint, wheels, lights etc.

You guys on the Pacific coast, who vacation elsewhere, ie. Ariz, Texas, NM, etc, and drive, should plan on picking up a trailer on the way back from your vacation, and sell it at home. You can pay your vacation fuel cost that way, and more.

Last edited:

hwcurtice

Well, I have spare wheels, just need shorter tires. And shorter tires only gives me about an inch. I'd like it to be about 6 inches lower. I'm not using this off road, and it would match up better with my truck.

3dAngus

You get more than an inch with the GMC wheels and mudder tires. But not six inches. I put up pictures of the HWWMV tires and GMC next to each other in another post but can't remember where.

hwcurtice

I have an a2. It has the GM wheels, not the a3 wheels. I went and tried to fit some E tires for weight, and the shortest ones I could get on only dropped it an inch or so. I'd have to go with 15 inch wheels most likely to get shorter, or flip the axle, get different shocks, and ditch the brakes.

Like that's never been done before...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks