• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M816 Bringing back from the dead thread

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well here we go with another project to add to the list of too much crap I have to do.

Picked up an 816 from CSM Davis this week. Needs some work. Said to have a spun rod bearing or something in the lower end. I haven't tried to start it yet. Worse case scenario it will need an engine, but we all know me it's go big or go home. So it will either get a Big Cam that I have laying around or a CAT 3306 I have. We will see.

Overall it is in decent shape from the amount of time it has been sitting.

Has a few things on it you don't see often, electric wipers, bucket seats, dome light, under seat retractable light.

So here we go....

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
More.

It had a nice front bumper till someone didn't believe that the stock shackles on the front will Banana peel the bumpers. Why you don't hook to them for things that are really stuck.

Attachments

Superthermal

Simp, For me the novice, the BC 400 to fit in the old 250 slot requires:
1. Front and the rear engine mounts need to be modified to accommodate the larger engine size, 1/2" plate steel and some happy hockey pucks :)...
2. and aligned to have the engine sit to the passenger side slightly several inches??? to clear the front drive line.
3. BC 400 needs a new oil pan to clear the front axle when hit hard or flexed heavily.
4. BC 400 needs remote oil filter mount to clear the passenger side frame.
5. BC 400 needs new bell housing SAE#1? If you wanted to keep the small but tuff 5 speed that is SAE#2 you could buy an adapter.? Has anyone done this before..i.e kept the 5 speed and liked it? Can it adapt to the SAE#1? if using an Eaton Fuller trans the T-case will need to be pushed back a bit? Could the trans and T-case from a M123 be used to save space since they are not a divorced set?
6. Hood modification will be needed as the engine is much taller (Or cab raised a bit like 4 or 5 inches?)
7. If M809 has a PTO shaft driven winch, the PTO must be converted to a hydraulic pump interface... I don't know much at all about this but I can only imagine this is the case as the shaft normally runs the right side of the oil pan and will not have line of site from the trans after the install... True?
8. Exhaust will need to be modified.
9. Cab heater core box will need to be moved to the driver side and in cab modded to match? ... (and swapped with the air intake housing that is also relocated...)
10. Intake air will need to be modified. Most likely to the passenger side fender.
11. Fuel line will need to be modified.
12. Generator/alternator bracket will need to be made or modified to align and allow adjustment.
13. Intermediate trans to T-case shaft will need to be cut shorter.
14. Cab floor modified for new position of transmission stick shift shaft (not sure how much with the Eaton, or 5 speed)
15. Radiator hoses will need to be modified
16. Radiator lower mount and upper mount will need to be modified.
17. Engine sensors will need to be modified. Oil pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, RPM sensor.
18. Starter cables adapted: Main power and start lengthened?
19. New clutch, pilot bushing and bearing. Shaft for alignment.
20. Flywheel resurfaces.
21. Clutch linkage modified
22. Fan shroud will need to be modified
And a lot of band-aids, hand cleaner, oil, antifreeze, not to mention blisters, broken tools, drill bits, welding wire, and a few tanks of gas running for bolts and other assorted parts.. LOL I will be here watching . Good luck. Take your time, we all see your busy.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp, For me the novice, the BC 400 to fit in the old 250 slot requires:
1. Front and the rear engine mounts need to be modified to accommodate the larger engine size, 1/2" plate steel and some happy hockey pucks :)...Only the front mount
2. and aligned to have the engine sit to the passenger side slightly several inches??? to clear the front drive line. Not necessarily
3. BC 400 needs a new oil pan to clear the front axle when hit hard or flexed heavily. Big cam 1s use the same oil pan as a small cam
4. BC 400 needs remote oil filter mount to clear the passenger side frame. No
5. BC 400 needs new bell housing SAE#1? If you wanted to keep the small but tuff 5 speed that is SAE#2 you could buy an adapter.? Has anyone done this before..i.e kept the 5 speed and liked it? Can it adapt to the SAE#1? if using an Eaton Fuller trans the T-case will need to be pushed back a bit? Could the trans and T-case from a M123 be used to save space since they are not a divorced set? You dont have to buy an adapter for SAE 2 bellhousings
6. Hood modification will be needed as the engine is much taller (Or cab raised a bit like 4 or 5 inches?) only if you're are planning on using #1 bellhousing
If M809 has a PTO shaft driven winch, the PTO must be converted to a hydraulic pump interface... I don't know much at all about this but I can only imagine this is the case as the shaft normally runs the right side of the oil pan and will not have line of site from the trans after the install... True? If you use the stock transmission nothing moves
8. Exhaust will need to be modified. yes
9. Cab heater core box will need to be moved to the driver side and in cab modded to match? ... (and swapped with the air intake housing that is also relocated...) maybe
10. Intake air will need to be modified. Most likely to the passenger side fender. its your choice
11. Fuel line will need to be modified. No
12. Generator/alternator bracket will need to be made or modified to align and allow adjustment. no
13. Intermediate trans to T-case shaft will need to be cut shorter. not with stock transmission
14. Cab floor modified for new position of transmission stick shift shaft (not sure how much with the Eaton, or 5 speed)
15. Radiator hoses will need to be modified yes
16. Radiator lower mount and upper mount will need to be mods yes
17. Engine sensors will need to be modified. Oil pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, RPM sensor. no, they all interchange
18. Starter cables adapted: Main power and start lengthened? no.
19. New clutch, pilot bushing and bearing. Shaft for alignment. yes if you went bigger
20. Flywheel resurfaces.
21. Clutch linkage modified
22. Fan shroud will need to be modified
And a lot of band-aids, hand cleaner, oil, antifreeze, not to mention blisters, broken tools, drill bits, welding wire, and a few tanks of gas running for bolts and other assorted parts.. LOL I will be here watching . Good luck. Take your time, we all see your busy.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes has big cam engines "laying around."
I love the look of the 809's, they just look meaner to me. This'll be fun to watch. :coffee:
If I wanted to get stupid I've got a 6NZ but I don't want to have to worry about transmission swaps cause it'll tear that spicer apart

Good thing about spicer is that all the input shafts and bellhousings swap between big and little ones

I've even contemplated a 7.3idi

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to combine this one to your current M816 to make one monster wrecker, or just make it a different build for recoveries and other things? Since I know you don't care for the M809 brakes, are you going to put S-cam brakes or swap the axles out of a M939?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Are you going to combine this one to your current M816 to make one monster wrecker, or just make it a different build for recoveries and other things? Since I know you don't care for the M809 brakes, are you going to put S-cam brakes or swap the axles out of a M939?
It's just a second wrecker to help out around the yard.

I like having wreckers with no brakes, lights, etc. That way people can't ask to use them or for me to take it somewhere to help recover crap miles from home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks