• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M920 build thread

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
2008 Rebuild truck. Rebuilt at FCI Gilmer in West Virginia. Has 1,775 miles. Came basically torn apart like they were chasing a air problem. Almost all air valves were removed. Figured out it was a wrong air line feeding the spring reservoir valve.

Has a 350hp Big Cam II according to the ESN 11024037. Still has the CAT 7155 equipped with a manifold heater. Stock 11R24s came on it but it was missing a few.

Got all the air valves back in, everything sealed down and operating.

So far I have installed a mechanical water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure gauge. Dual air pressure gauge. New light switches for separate power feed system for tail, trailer and headlights. Installed LED tail and headlights. Installed boost and Pyro gauges, and transfer case temperature gauge. Installed a 12V solenoid for activation of the 12v fuse panel for accessories. Installed a thermal sensor and air valve for fan clutch control

Installed 5 inch straight pipe. 12R24.5s on the rear. 445 65 22.5 Goodyear G296s on the pusher and steers.

Replaced the air dryer with a common AD9 unit.

Replaced steering wheel with a 17in 3bolt unit with quick disconnect so it is easier to remove and work behind the dashboard.

Have a few rust holes around the windshield that need to be addressed. Removed the headliner that was roached from a missing horn. Replacing it with foam board. She needs a new hood before too long. Replaced the stock seat with a take out air ride from my 915.

Will be swapping the CAT 7155 for an RTLO16913A. This will increase the top speed some to around 65mph at 2150rpms and 72mph at 2400. I am also contemplating a Eaton AutoShift 18.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is this truck going to start hauling green iron across the U.S.?
Not the plan. Unfortunately the 6x6 trucks aren't too reliable drivetrain wise to go ventuting too far. The amount of trucks with ring gear issues is pretty abundant.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Haven't gotten much done. Mostly fixing body issues. Preparing for paint. I hate bondo. My idea of body work is a hammer

Picked up a new hood from Sargent Surplus near Louisville. Stupid heavy things.

445s are done on it.

Desplined a set of front drive flanges.

Installed temperature gauges for the engine oil, transfer case, and both rear axles.

Rebuilt the jackshaft.

Used a grease fitting rejuvenator on a few stuck ones.

Doing a 24v to 12v equalizer swap along with a 24v alternator.

Picked up a 13spd RTOO14613. Triple overdrive unit.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Need to finish up the battery relocation tomorrow and wire up the equalizer.

Got the desplined hubs put back on and the appropriate grease fittings installed for easier hub bearing lube. They are hardened splines so it takes some work to get them cut out.

Got the new hood painted. Lots of acetone thinning to help it dry faster. Using 34052 green.

Got most of the truck painted. Waiting for fenders to dry before putting them back on.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Moved the exhaust back and installed the stack.

Passengers side fuel tank installed. Mounted the inside air tank to the bottom of the cab.
Mounted the outside tank on the inside of the winch frame. Moved the transmission dipstick to the inside of the frame rail.

Installed a parker regulator and oil mister for the CAT. Mag drill popped a 1-3/8 hole right thru the winch frame

Mag drill creates enough ball of steel that the old lady can easy scrub some pots and pans

Battery relocation done to the drivers inner fender and rewired with 4/0 wiring.

24v equalizer solenoid installed with its own breaker. 12v breaker inside is wired up with its solenoid.

Blah I need the days to be about 18hrs longer each day and about 30 clones and a barrel of Adderall and I'll have all my projects done by 2032.

Attachments

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I figure you did read this but I found it interesting.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well. Maybe I can roll her out of the shop and into the sunlight tomorrow for some display pictures. She hasn't seen the sun in a week since being painted.

Got the headlights installed. Nice Grote #90941-5. Straight plug and play for the 915.

Got the 12 and 24v solenoids all wired up and done. Along with a hidden battery disconnect switch under the dash. This is one anti theft device. Along with the air shut off valve for the transmission right before the regulator and mister it should be enough to stop anyone. I guess if they find both and know how to operate the CAT then it is just their lucky day.

Changed the engine oil, transmission oil (actually had sludge in the transmission itself from sitting) , swapped the transfer case oil, both rear axles to 80W140 synthetic. Also added temperature sending units to both axle cases as well as the transfer case.

Got the air tanks all figured out. Had to run few new 5/8 hoses. That DOT hose in that size is some stout stuff, even my gorilla self had a hard time straightening the snake out.

Installed new passengers side mirror brackets with heated mirror. This is a different type that allows the quarter window to open all the way atleast.

Got my battery trays in and mounted down and all that wiring organized. I am going to add a handle to the fenders on the truck for ease of handling when taking them off and on, especially with the battery tray since you can not reach the inner fender to lift. They are actually much easier to put on than 915a1 fenders.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Transfer fuel pump installed. Installed a filter head on that side to filter it going across.

Installed a dual filter head for the engine side. I will delete the filter on the pt pump when I swap that out. It is a pain to get to. Just trying to make it easier. Pt pump filter is 10 micron so it clogs up easy.

Differential gauges and sending units installed. 80-140 synthetic gear oil. $90 a bucket.

Moved the transfer case and rear diff vents to higher locations.

Dual voltage gauge

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Was able to get the chain holders in place for locking the pusher axle up. This will be a safety measure in the event I blow a lift bag or get a leak and need to keep it up with a chain. I put a shut off valve on the air feed as well so I can close that for the air loss.

Hydraulic tank is installed. I hate Hydraulic fluid. Enough said.

Installed a rail pressure gauge. Swapped out the fuel buttons. Pump had a #40 in it. Pfft. That's pitiful. Went with a #10 and set the RP to 250.

Had the stock starter start leaking transmission oil from the weep hole on the starter. Go figure. Only bad thing about a wet clutch housing. Luckily I have a few reman Delco 39MTs in the box so I put one on. #8300018 from finditparts.com was cheap cheap for $70 each.

Another steering wheel picture cause I really just like that smaller wheel.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks