• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Single Battery on 24v System

panshark

After reading DUG's thread about wiring a 12v secondary alternator to his duece (I read past page 5, even after his warning, probably should have listened to him) I've got a simple question, and don't feel like tearing up my own equipment to find out. I think I may already know the answer, but here goes:

What happens when you hook a single 12v battery up to the 24v charging system?

Let's assume you parked on a hill before you did this, so you roll-start it after you can't get it cranked up with the starter.

Does the voltage regulator on the 24v alternator fry itself? does the battery explode? Do you get mentioned in the first section of the newspaper, due to the spectacularness of your "incident"?

Not wanting to launch into a rehash of the 12v and 24v charging the same battery theory, just a general idea of what would happen.

998Junkie

I would think the contents would start to boil and the battery would get very hot. Hydrogen gas could build up and if it can't escape the battery might explode.

I don't think it would affect the charging system, just the battery.

I had a motorcycle battery over charge with about 80V when my regulator broke...one cooked battery and the smell of sulfur when I got home and a burnt finger touching it...:oops:

paulfarber

The alternator would simply keep sending current to the battery because its not fully charged to 24V. So it gets hot, boils, or does whatever overcharged batteries do.

I could see how you could just use a single battery for 12V circuits (would need a regulator to say a cigarette lighter type receptacle.

Or you could just to straight AC with a 24V to 110V inverter for about $100

DC AC Power Inverters - 24 Volt DC to AC Inverter

Or simply go for a 24V to 12V regulator

Samlex America 24V to 12V Converter, 12A SDC-12

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks