• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Single circuit to dual circuit brake conversion

banditt1979

A while back I rebuilt the air pack that came with the truck. The gasket that came with it for the rear plate was too small and broke when I tried to install it so I reused the old one. Then I removed the air pack and installed a rebuilt unit thinking there was something wrong with it. Removed the rear cover to inspect and tore the old gasket. Well this evening I carefully made a new one. I used my compass from college to make a circle on some gasket material I had (again, hot rod days) 4 1/2 " diameter and used an xacto knife set I bought in Pigeon Forge, and carefully cut the inner diameter. Checked to make sure that was good then notched the areas for the studs. All went well and another obstacle out of the way!

Attachments

banditt1979

Doing some practice runs with my new welder I think the materials I have will work

Edit: I beat on this weldment pretty hard with a 3lb sledge and it didnt fail. I think what I will do with the actual mc bracket will be more than adequate.

Attachments

Last edited:

banditt1979

Got the mounting holes drilled and used a 2" hole saw to make the hole for the dust boot. Probably could have made it a little smaller like 1 7/8" but I didn't expect to be able to use the single mc boot. Just trim about half of the first "ring" off the boot and I think it will work fine. I'll need a zip tie or hose clamp on the small end to secure it to the heim joint

Attachments

banditt1979

Big night last night got the old bracket trimmed up and the new mounting plate tacked on. Before I finish weld and add some gussets I'll try to climb under the beast and make sure it will fit. Its 4 degrees right now so maybe I'll wait until it warms up a bit.

Attachments

banditt1979

Initial mock up looks good and the single mc dust boot fit is great and isn't going anywhere. I'll wrap some electrical tape around the heim joint to tighten up the dust boot fit. Very happy with the results so far

Attachments

banditt1979

I'm going to mount a third air tank and have a couple questions. I am going with an aftermarket tank since they seem to be 1/3 the price of NOS. Should I go with 5 gallon or 3 gallon tank? And how does the priority valve plumb in? TIA

banditt1979

Got my mc top plate today. Unfortunately the round nubs that are supposed to fit down into the mc were a bit large. Ended up using my dremel with the sanding wheels to grind down the OD to get it to fit and also had to cut off a nub that I think ensures that you dont install it backwards. Little by little and checking with digital micrometers. But it now fits. Air tank from summit will be here tomorrow.

Attachments

banditt1979

Adapter plate fighting me the whole way. Went to bolt it on and the oring in the middle of the mc wasnt making contact with the plate. Ended up sanding off about .025" off of the round ports sticking out of the plate with my table top belt sander. If anyone is using a MC39577 mc and uses the plate from Sweeting Performance be aware that it will need to be modified.

banditt1979

Check valves/priority valves: from what I've read I need something so if there is an air leak in the supply line the check valve would stop the tank from draining. I was planning on a tee at the tank that supplies the original air pack, run that to the new air tank with a check valve in between. Does that make good logical sense? Then the next question: should I go with copper or DOT air brake hose for the new tank? I like the idea of the dot hose but I haven't worked with this stuff and not sure of all the connections/transition at the tee.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks