• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Single out My M818

KsM715

Budcaps, or thimbles, are what you put on the rears to put duals on. in other words, on the rear, you put on the inner wheel, spin the budcap on, holding that wheel in place then you put the outer wheel on and put on the outer lugnut. The HEMMT wheel has such a thick center that the front studs aren't long enough so some guys put the budcap on the front stud then put the HEMMT wheel on the a lug nut. The problem with that is that because of the shape of the budcap. It will hold the flat surface of the wheel from sitting tight againts the hub. When that happens it allows the wheel to flex and thus breaks the studs. Very dangerous on a front steer tire. There are discussions on here about using either longer front studs (best idea) or machining down the budcap so it allows the wheel to sit agains the hub.

Heres a good thread to read about budcaps and longer studs. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/51124-m813-wheel-studs.html

Pics. to follow when I can find them. Edit: the pics are in that link.

Last edited:

emr

Yes they will flex and break the studs, i am stubborn and learned the hard way :) these tires need to be tight to spec also, 600 ft #s is what they do at the shop here..

1943ht

Started Singling out my M818 today (1600's) .. got my front wheels on and love the look .. but I was wondering if anyone else mounting 1600'ss has had any clearance issues (Rubbing during turns) with the Pittman arm (drivers side) or the hydraulic assist cylinder (passengers side) .. Did not have an opportunity to take a test run as I have not finished the duals .... Guess I'll find out tomorrow after I finish up .. was just wondering ...

1943ht

Its been a very busy week .. finishing up the 5 Ton project for the Touch-A-Truck event 16 Jun ..dragged my tires and wheels out of storage and slapped them on .. thank God for the 10 Ton Jack I picked up a couple of months ago, moving those tires from the farm to the shop was a ball-buster.

Swapped out a bad set of tank straps and replaced with new .. Installed a reel light that has been sitting in the shop for a couple of years and replaced my turn signal switch as the flasher light assembly was a mess on the original .. need to paint some unit markings on the beast and get the fuel tanks marked up and the interior cleaned out yet before the event.

Thinking I'll pull the hard-top off, as I have a new soft top and frame set-up in storage .. thinking it will have more of a wow factor with the top off for the kids, and better photo op for moms and dads .. needed to get the big ticket stuff completed by the 8th as My M37 is finally painted and I need to start assembling that back together.

Will take it for a test run tomorrow, as I want to pick up some steel to fabricate a set of mud flaps to install between the tires and the fuel tank .. have a drawing all made up and it will bolt into the rear fuel tank mount on the bottom and on the frame rails on the top just like the original .. don't like the tank exposed to all the stuff the tires are going to kick up.. Probably will not have that done before the event ..

Does not look like there will be any clearance issues with the pittman etc.

//Cheers//
Mark

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks