• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

single rear axle 5 ton

drjconley

Has anyone converted their 5 ton to a single rear axle with out shortening the overall length of the truck. If so, how hard or expensive is it to lengthen a drive shaft. I would assume all the other work would be identical to a bobbed 5 ton.

Thanks
Jim Conley

dm22630

I think that this one was a 818 w/the rear axle removed.

Attachments

drjconley

That is exactly what I was looking for, well I would like more women and less men in the bed. But, I would think a full 14 foot bed with a single rear axle would be more truck than I would ever need, and it would have a better turning radius and higher top speed with better acceleration.
Thank You,
Jim Conley

NEIOWA

That is exactly what I was looking for, well I would like more women and less men in the bed. But, I would think a full 14 foot bed with a single rear axle would be more truck than I would ever need, and it would have a better turning radius and higher top speed with better acceleration.
Thank You,
Jim Conley
Actually if you remove the #2 axle you will increase the turning radius as WB will be longer.

vinny-socom1

Heres a couple of pics of my 818 bobbed- I keeped the frt axle in the same spot and will have to cut the rear frame about 14"-16" to fit right. But I think you could use the full frame and center the bed and axle to work.I hope this helps.

Vinny

Attachments

vinny-socom1

I used a set of front 5ton springs and hangers- I'll probably throw a M105 bed on it.
But I thought about a flat bed with the rear dove tailed??? not sure right now.
Thanks Vinny

bbf

when i did my 5 ton i had a custom drive shaft made up and did what vinny did on his did not cut frame down made it into a 4 door

DMaddox

whats the average price of a lengthend drive shaft ,, or is there something out there off anouther truck that you could use instead to gain 12 to 16 inches for a 5ton or deuce?

100dollarman

Its easy to have a driveshaft legthened or shortened. I have the shaft lengthened about 11" when I bob a deuce. Cost is $125. Any driveshaft shop can do it.

I have a M818 that I am going to install 6 16.00 XZLs on, remove the 5th wheel hitch, and shorten a deuce bed to fit--- (when I get time!)