• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

single rear axle 5 ton

drjconley

Has anyone converted their 5 ton to a single rear axle with out shortening the overall length of the truck. If so, how hard or expensive is it to lengthen a drive shaft. I would assume all the other work would be identical to a bobbed 5 ton.

Thanks
Jim Conley

dm22630

I think that this one was a 818 w/the rear axle removed.

Attachments

drjconley

That is exactly what I was looking for, well I would like more women and less men in the bed. But, I would think a full 14 foot bed with a single rear axle would be more truck than I would ever need, and it would have a better turning radius and higher top speed with better acceleration.
Thank You,
Jim Conley

NEIOWA

That is exactly what I was looking for, well I would like more women and less men in the bed. But, I would think a full 14 foot bed with a single rear axle would be more truck than I would ever need, and it would have a better turning radius and higher top speed with better acceleration.
Thank You,
Jim Conley
Actually if you remove the #2 axle you will increase the turning radius as WB will be longer.

vinny-socom1

Heres a couple of pics of my 818 bobbed- I keeped the frt axle in the same spot and will have to cut the rear frame about 14"-16" to fit right. But I think you could use the full frame and center the bed and axle to work.I hope this helps.

Vinny

Attachments

vinny-socom1

I used a set of front 5ton springs and hangers- I'll probably throw a M105 bed on it.
But I thought about a flat bed with the rear dove tailed??? not sure right now.
Thanks Vinny

bbf

when i did my 5 ton i had a custom drive shaft made up and did what vinny did on his did not cut frame down made it into a 4 door

DMaddox

whats the average price of a lengthend drive shaft ,, or is there something out there off anouther truck that you could use instead to gain 12 to 16 inches for a 5ton or deuce?

100dollarman

Its easy to have a driveshaft legthened or shortened. I have the shaft lengthened about 11" when I bob a deuce. Cost is $125. Any driveshaft shop can do it.

I have a M818 that I am going to install 6 16.00 XZLs on, remove the 5th wheel hitch, and shorten a deuce bed to fit--- (when I get time!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks