• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singles for 920 tractor

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey folks much more knowledgeable than I, I have a question about putting singles on a 920 tractor, I would like to remove all the duals on all 4 axles and put singles on the truck, is the bolt pattern on the 920 the same as it is on my 925A1? I picked up combat rims and a set of Goodyear tires for that and would like to do the same on the 920 can I use the same type 2 piece combat rims on the 920 as I did on my 925A1? The next question concerning this is on the tag axle on the 920, will I still be able to raise those two tires off the ground with these much larger tires on that axle? Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this subject and if I cannot raise the tag axle with larger tires on it then that is the way it is and I have no problem with that either!
Thanks again
Karl

Bighurt

Karl you can get 1400's all around on the M920 and be safe, I believe 1600's will even fit.

The problem is wheel's most 20's don't fit without modification to the drum. I believe Soni runs a 21.5" accuride in place of the stock 24" on his M920.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys thanks for the info, can you explain to me in a little more depth what I can expect to have to do to the steer axle to make this work? Jeremy did the person your referring to actually put different sized wheels on the front axle to help clearance issues? JRacing thanks also about needing to modify the steel mud flaps on the floater axle, that does not surprise me at all.
KK

R Racing

I thought someone on here used the 5 ton rims and didn't have to grind any on there drums ?? Also in my cause I didn't have to remove anywhere near as much material as the diagram shows. But that will very from truck to truck as the drums are cast.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 915 will fit the combat rims but the 916 and 920 need the MK48 rims to be correct and not grind on the poor hubs. This was just posted in another thread.

Bighurt

Karl personally since you have the combat rims I would pull a wheel off the 5 ton and test fit the M920. Some drums where worse than others so at least you get an idea what your looking at.

Additionally I prefer to have equal meat all the way around, so I would run the same wheel/tire combo on all 4 axles. If that means grinding the drum for 20's or investing in 21.5x13 with 445/75r22.5 not sure which path I would go. I think overall the cost per tire will be higher with a commercial setup over a surplus setup. All depends on what you want to use the truck for.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Jeremy that would be my or the only problem with the MK48 rims. I or OP would have to carrie a spair MK48 for the front and a spair combat or Hemtt rim and tire for the rear. I don't go far from home and as of yet have not had to worrie about it.

Bighurt

Yea Jeremy that would be my or the only problem with the MK48 rims. I or OP would have to carrie a spair MK48 for the front and a spair combat or Hemtt rim and tire for the rear. I don't go far from home and as of yet have not had to worrie about it.
Yeah two spares is a problem and I've learned the hard way my commercial insurance doesn't cover Roadside Assistance, or towing. As I finish up the M871, and try and acquire an M872. I think one of the things far down my list is coming up with a common tire for the M915a1 and B train combo. I'll settle for a single trailer spare, but I have to be choosy on M872's some have Dayton rims.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks