• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singling the Deuce, bearing and brake service...

rmgill

So I started in on the converting my M35 to singles. I'm stuck now because I need to get the brakes relined on the shoes. I put a dial caliper on them and they're right at and under .3".

I had a hub put back together and Clint asked about brake shoe thickness and I checked it in the inspection hole and naturally it needed to be replaced. So, short of extra jack stands, I'll have to wait on the right side wheels. I'll probably get one of my RR ties and break down the front's to get at those so I can re-do the boots while I'm waiting on the shoes for the left side to be relined.

What's a good price for shoes to be relined?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Singling the Duece, bearing and brake service...

I checked on relining cost a couple of years ago and they wanted $25/shoe, unless you can get a better price, at $100/axle you are better off getting new ones.

BTW, .300 is not that bad, I think new ones are .375

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Singling the Duece, bearing and brake service...

Don't feel bad, none of mine are very thick, I'll be doing mine before Aberdeen.

KC Gonzo ( a seller on ebay) offered me a set of complete brake shoes for a pretty good deal, I would email him.

rdixiemiller

Ryan
Are the shoes riveted or bonded? As long as you have 1/16" beyond the rivet surface or more, you are good for quite a while. If your bonded shoes are .125" or more at the thinnest part, you are also OK. However, if you want new shoes, KCGonzo always has them on E-Bay, I think they normally go for around $40 an axle or so.
Boyce equipment also has complete axle brake rebuild kits, complete with everything you need.

rmgill

Actually, I looked at the manual closely. the .3 distance is the pad AND shoe. I need to measure again. I do have one that's slightly oily (looks like VERY old oil) and I think I was able to lock up all four wheels in the back on braking so perhaps it was slowly drying out. We'll see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks