• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Six Blade 20" Fan

In the cooling upgrade thread I read about a 6blade 20" fan upgrade. I'm interested in this can y'all help me with some questions?
1. Where can I get the fan
2. Is it direct fit?
3. Can I use the same fan shroud?
4. Any other info appreciated.

I did some direct messaging of the people who mentioned this fan and I found out it is a Derale 17120. It is supposedly a direct fit and will work with the existing shroud.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I measured it at 19 inches.IMG_0376.jpg Here is a pic of the 20 inch 6 blade on my M1028. As you can see there is plenty of clearance with the shroud. It doesn't rub off road either.

Last edited:

scottladdy

Is it louder than stock? Notice a difference in airflow?

I wonder if their 19" 6 blade would be enough? Would keep the factory clearances.

Thanks!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't noticed it being really louder. You can tell when the clutch locks up though. My 82 GMC came from the factory with a 20 inch 7 blade fan like this one in the pic. The clearance is not a issue. It has not rubbed at all even when hauling firewood off road. GM_Family_62.jpg

Jozseph

Is it louder than stock? Notice a difference in airflow?

I wonder if their 19" 6 blade would be enough? Would keep the factory clearances.

Thanks!
FWIW review the following articles / commentary / sales ad;

"9 Blade Fan and Clutch"

at https://www.kennedydiesel.com/fansclutches.html

"Cooling System Upgrade"

at: https://www.kennedydiesel.com/waterpumpkit.html

You may also get ideas from a sales ad / copy:

"6.5TD C/K Trucks > Cooling System Upgrades & Components > 6.5 Turbo Diesel Cooling Fan Upgrade (early)"

titled;

"6.5 Turbo Diesel Cooling Fan Upgrade (early)"

at http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/p2_6.5_turbo_diesel_cooling_fan_upgrade_early.html

Regards

Joseph

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have purchased many parts over the years from Kennedy. But he is up in Wisconson and Not in 100+ deg temps towing heavy loads. He prefers 195 thermostats. I can understand that, being that far north. When the clutch fully engages A bigger fan with more blades will move more air. I swapped to a severe duty clutch. You can easily "adjust" any fan clutch by drilling a new pin hole and moving the roll pin that the bimetal strip hooks on. The civi engines with a/c were 7 blades and 180 thermostats for good reason. Running coolant temps above 200 is too close to critical temp. Look at all the scrap Humvee engines. Most diesels were run at 180 before we were worried about emmissions. They also lasted a lot longer. My 6.5 runs between 180 and 190 99% of the time now. I put too much money in it to chance cracking something at 215.

dezertdemond

He said that it supposedly fits. Just trying to confirm before purchasing. From my research it appears that the clutch bolt pattern is 3.25" and the fan is double drilled for 3 And 3.5"

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a pic of it on my truck.IMG_0376.jpg I didn't measure the bolt circle but it bolted right up.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is the clutch I got from Oriley's. I told the parts guy I needed one for a 86 K30 with a 6.2. Severe Duty. It worked with no problems.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I just went out to the Garage and measured a fan clutch from a 1009 I pulled the engine from. The Bolt circle on that clutch is 3.25. It is a little thinner and smaller than the clutch on my truck. I suggest getting a severe duty clutch for it. I never noticed a difference since I replaced them together at the time. Sorry This was a difference I didn't know. This set up has worked well for me in the Texas heat.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dez, Get you a Robert Shaw 370-180 thermostat also. You can also get a MR Gasket #4367 Thermostat. It's the same one. They are The balanced sleeve high flow type. With this fan, clutch and thermostat overheating will be a thing of the past.

scottladdy

There is modification to the spring on it as well.
Basically you make the spring a little longer by straightening the end and bending it a little further out.
One brand, Hayden, advertises 170 degree F. engagement temp. Supposedly 25 degrees lower than stock, although the 195 figure is not fully confirmed. This is for their 2799 severe duty clutch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks