• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SixSpeed needs rescuing in FL

dc3coyote

I just talked to SixSpeed (Jack) hes stuck in Richloam Fl west of 471. Hes in a duece and has broken all of his spare shear pins for his winch. I gather that he is the only duece out in a land of small jeeps.

His contact number 813 695 2167. He is able to receive text messages.
I am still in North Ga prepping his 109 for the trip home.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there is a way to use old shear pins, take the two pieces, put a short stick in the middle, then a shear pin piece in each hole, tape around to keep all together, i dint know how to tex this to him, ill try to post a pic in a minute

this is from FM 20-22, page 6-20 i tried to make this bigger, is there someone out there in SS land that can, thanks

open right click, open in ner window, enlarge. this plan was brought to my attention by my great, smart WIFE

Attachments

Last edited:

Pinz25086

I called him but all I get is a recording that he does not have his voice mail set up. I am about an hour away if he still needs help.

Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wished I were 4 hours closer. Anyways, sounds like he not only needs more shear pins but some snatch blocks too.

dc3coyote

Talked to SixSpeed about a hour ago. He made it out alive and with his duece. Dont worry I will have him buy all the toys he needs for his new truck. and read all applicable TMs for vehicle recovery.

davidkroberts

Talked to SixSpeed about a hour ago. He made it out alive and with his duece. Dont worry I will have him buy all the toys he needs for his new truck. and read all applicable TMs for vehicle recovery.

well then you just call him back and tell him he isnt welcome back to the board until he post the pictures of said bottomless mudhole. Getting stuck and breaking parts is easier to bare if everyone else is allowed to enjoy it

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey Guys,

I appreciate all the offers of help. The deuce in question was JamesM's truck, we both rode out there in his truck.

He had just finished pulling a Land Rover out of a hole, and there was another hole right after, he didn't want to go right though it so he tried to go around on the outside so it started to slip in the hole.

There were a few problems at work here.

1.) There was a ledge in front of the truck, axle was plowing, front wheels were stuck against a wall of mud. The only photo I have is when the truck first went in, after trying to get it out it sunk to the point of the front bumper being up against the dirt.

2.) There was a ledge in back of the truck as well. We couldn't rock the truck but about a foot, so no luck that way. We dug for a long time, tried putting rocks/logs/trees etc under the tires, and it did help but it was like blowing on an oil rig fire as they say.

3.) Since one side of the trucks tires were buried the other side didn't really have much weight on them, and were free to spin. Not to mention by this point, the NDT's were long since "slicks".

4.) The aluminum shear pin broke within a second of winching, completely useless. We stuffed a multitude of items in there (not an easy task when its buried in mud) and all snapped pretty fast.

5.) We eventually gave up and found a hardware store about 30 minutes away and grabbed some grade 8 bolts. It broke a 1/4 grade 8 bolt fairly quickly. We gave it one last chance and hammered in a 5/16th grade 8 bolt, and decided to give it one last shot. With the truck driving itself in low, and the winch in low, with some logs for it to climb over (IIRC) it was just BARELY able to get itself out.

Photo 1 & 2: NDT Slicks

Photo 3: Initially after entering the hole. This was before it was in another few feet, and down a couple feet as well.

Photo 4: Truck at the nearest gas station, with most of the mud kicked off.

Photo 5: The casualty of the day.

Photo 6-10: Another hole we went through.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention when we tried to back it out of the hole, we had a nicely built Jeep JK yanking and a 9500lb winch on the land rover which was anchored to a tree. The Warn winch flat out gave up on pulling the deuce. We had the deuce up on logs and even a spare tire, lol. Wouldn't budge. Forward was even worse. Much worse.

Attachments

Last edited:

JamesM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the offers to come out and rescue the truck! I appreciate it! Though thankfully, this time it was able to get itself out...but no without putting up a fight...

See above for said fight ^^ SixSpeed pretty much summed it up...

Here are two pictures of it at its lowest point....this is right before the attempts with the bolts...

Sorry if they aren't as nice the above...they were taken with my phone...

---James

Attachments

scooter01922

No one else has mentioned it so i will....not to be a dink but grade 8 bolts are a sure fire way to make your winch go BOOM. If you are blowing stock pins on a pull like that you are doing something wrong. Seen the thread where the guy pulled a loaded 18 wheeler out of the ditch with his??? it was with a stock pin. Oh, and snatch blocks are your friends.

SixSpeed

Banned
No one else has mentioned it so i will....not to be a dink but grade 8 bolts are a sure fire way to make your winch go BOOM. If you are blowing stock pins on a pull like that you are doing something wrong. Seen the thread where the guy pulled a loaded 18 wheeler out of the ditch with his??? it was with a stock pin. Oh, and snatch blocks are your friends.
Yeah yeah, we know. I guess it has to be mentioned though. ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks