• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Size Requirement for a M35A2

boys4545

How do you taller guys drive your duece? I'm 6'4" and I have the seat lowest (I believe) setting and I'm looking just over the top of the windshield, I have to bend my neck a little to see the further down the road.

JCKnife

I'm 6'7" and really don't have any issues. The leg room is a little tight, but doable. Now, I'm in the middle of a re-build and I haven't got the seat with the new shock absorber back in yet. Maybe it WILL be an issue...

RDUKW

I am 6'-3" so I have the same problem. I had two M35's one had the spring seat and the other had the old school box seat. The box seat was by far the most comfortable for me and gave the best head and leg room. With the box seat you could change the seat cushions and gain a little space as well.

Ryan

mactiredearg

I'm also 6'3" and have been struggling with the wipers-in-line-of-sight issue. I especially hate having to stop at lights where the cross street is only two lanes. For short runs its not too bad, but on longer runs I try to remember to lean my head both ways so the kink in the neck will be even...

Kohburn

you can always install a strap to set the max height for the seat. I'm 6'3" so i'm familiar with the issue.

kurtkds

I'm 6' 3" also, the Deuce has the box seat, if I want to see the traffic light I have to lean forward and look out.

In my 5 ton I have a spring seat and don't have a problem seeing out, I know the cab is supposed to be the same size.

So maybe the answer is to drive a 5 ton.[thumbzup]

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Answer is simple! Simply remove the top, fold the windshield down and wear those aviator goggles like Snoopy!!!:D

On the serious side, I feel your pain. I'm only 6 foot, but I have long legs (40 inch inseam). Seeing out the windshield is not a huge problem, but squeezing under the steering wheel is a pain when getting in or out of the truck. I have the spring seat and it is on the lowest setting.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Answer is simple! Simply remove the top, fold the windshield down and wear those aviator goggles like Snoopy!!!:D
I do that a few times every year, gotta make sure it still all moves ;)

I've also thought of moving the wiper motor as far to one side as poss. For me that would be to the inside, . . . I think I'd like to see what was coming head-on more than the edge of the road. I don't think the blindspot would be in a bad place.

I've many miles imagining that blind spot, made by the motor, in diff places.

Big Z

My VFDs deuce has a springer and mine has a box seat. And I don't have the back pad on my box seat right now. It's roomier than the springer. I'll bet you could make your own pretty easy too.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys know you can bolt the wiper motor up-side down for less obstruction, right?
When we first got the She Beast the drivers side was that way, . . . it also wouldn't work if the window was closed. Something about the way it was pressured when the window was closed prevented it from working, so . . . a windshield wiper that worked when the window was open . . . not the best.

That was back before I knew that they were turned over to give more visibility. Haven't ever tried that w/ mine.

Amram

I have an idea...STOP BEING SO DANG TALL!!!!:p I am 5ft 7in so my Toyota Land-cruiser buckets bolted to springer bases are perfect for me. I have plenty of leg room and the ride height give me a perfect view out the windshield. I have even stretched my legs out across the cab and taken a nap comfortably. My only guess for you guys is to lop you legs off at the knees and maybe you will be my height to fit in the cab. :driver:

PsycoBob

6' 2", so not as tall as some of my brothers-in-OD-iron.

I upgraded from box to spring-base, then swapped the stock seat assemblies for a set of more modern contoured .mil seats. I've no idea what they came out of, as some had front/back adjustment, some didn't, different bolt patterns, etc. Some time with a drill was needed to get them to fit on the spring bases.

Without a tubular frame & with thinner cushions, I gained quite a bit of legroom & windshield visibility. Much more comfortable padding than stock seats, definitely appreciated on longer trips. Contoured padding supports better across the your body, instead of just at the pressure points. Combining that with better quality foam allows even thinner padding than you'd think would be comfortable.

The adjustment on deuce spring bases just tweaks spring-tension, not quite the same as ride height. Mine's set to keep me from swaying too much, rather than for height. You'd need to tweak the geometry of the spring mechanism to get major adjustments in height without de-tensioning the spring so far that you bottom out the seat on every bump. Supposedly, air-ride bases are an option, but you might want to do some research before you buy anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks