• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slant Back Sideboards

So here we go. I’ve mocked up a slant back sideboard and was wondering what everyone thinks. The only materials I used are a set of troop seats. I’ve got about three hours in to this mock up and now I’ve got to sit and stew about it for a few days. I know I’m going to put a two inch radius on the rear end an maybe a level top on the front. 😊

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it looks bad per se, but to me it just looks very wrong for it to be like that.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Coug... Your work is fine but the look just doesn't feel right.

Yes. It’s not what side boards look like. I’m going to round the rear upright and I’m thinking I’m going to lower the front upright a couple of inches and see how that looks. I bought 4 sets of troop seats to prototype different ideas I have. Well I will say that I love doing stuff like this so it’s enjoyable time spent. I’m also going to redesign the 4 man troop seats I made already.

Attachments

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why don't you purchase the slantback soft top one of the members here sells?

I don’t want a closed back. I think any covering would turn it into an oven in the summer. Really I’m just bored to death and thought I’d give it a go and see what I can come up with. Those troop seats are almost free so I can scrap it and go another direction.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about...

Mandrel bent tube steel bent to the contours of a slantback.

Simple yet interesting. A few holes for ties down straps and such, and totally functional while visually appealing.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread both ends of the pipe and buy caps... Cap one end and fill tightly with sand, then cap the other end... Hit with a torch and then use your bender... It will look awesome!

Thats a novel approach. But I think I’ll go to the muffler shop and have them make the bends. I have drawings I’ve made for a tube side. I have some 10’ sticks of 1 1/2” 4130 for that project. As soon as I run out of troop seats.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once done are you going to swap them side to side to the smooth portion of the rails faces outboard? Would look a little more polished that way.
BDGR

Wire Fox

I wish I had your nearly-free source of troop seats. I'd like to get my 2-man upgraded to that newer style of troop seat, as I actually plan to use mine as-built.

I like your idea here, but it still just doesn't look quite right. I don't think the flat boards look very good when slanted like this.

I wish I had your nearly-free source of troop seats. I'd like to get my 2-man upgraded to that newer style of troop seat, as I actually plan to use mine as-built.

I like your idea here, but it still just doesn't look quite right. I don't think the flat boards look very good when slanted like this.
Thank you for your input😊. I believe the troop seats are the same except for the slats themselves. I’ve seen just the fiberglass slats for sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks