• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slantback Questions - Newbie Here

buhdontcare

First off, thank you all in advance for your contributions as it's GREATLY appreciated & you all really know your stuff. I'm a newbie who knows only the most basic information about Humvees. I've just always loved these vehicles & I'm finally in a position to buy one (so forgive me in advance for asking basic questions.) My goals are to simply have an awesome looking Humvee (to the general public) and use it to promote my business.

1.) What was the point of slant backs anyway? Seems to limit rear visibility & cargo space. I guess to deflect rounds?

2.) Plan B Kit - What's so bad about this? Seems way cheaper then an original kit (which I can't seem to find anywhere anyway.)

3.) Do you need a hard top to accommodate the slant back?

4.) I have no car experience, but I a mechanically inclined. Would the installation of a Plan B kit be somewhat reasonable to assume I can accomplish on my own? Or do you really need an understand of these vehicles and/or sheet metal work.

5.) Soft slant option? Any reason you can just install some steel tubing in a fashion that allows for the bungeeing of canvas to replicate the slant back look? I understand to the steelsoldier eye, it would like like crap. But to the general public (or at first glance..) if it's slanted...it checks the box IMO.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, thank you all in advance for your contributions as it's GREATLY appreciated & you all really know your stuff. I'm a newbie who knows only the most basic information about Humvees. I've just always loved these vehicles & I'm finally in a position to buy one (so forgive me in advance for asking basic questions.) My goals are to simply have an awesome looking Humvee (to the general public) and use it to promote my business.

1.) What was the point of slant backs anyway? Seems to limit rear visibility & cargo space. I guess to deflect rounds?

2.) Plan B Kit - What's so bad about this? Seems way cheaper then an original kit (which I can't seem to find anywhere anyway.)

3.) Do you need a hard top to accommodate the slant back?

4.) I have no car experience, but I a mechanically inclined. Would the installation of a Plan B kit be somewhat reasonable to assume I can accomplish on my own? Or do you really need an understand of these vehicles and/or sheet metal work.

5.) Soft slant option? Any reason you can just install some steel tubing in a fashion that allows for the bungeeing of canvas to replicate the slant back look? I understand to the steelsoldier eye, it would like like crap. But to the general public (or at first glance..) if it's slanted...it checks the box IMO.
1) Provides stability and increased visibilty to the gunner.
2) No comment I almost went this route but I am not going to bad mouth a man's business.
3) YES
4) I have no experience so cant say
5) Someone SS made a soft slant back and it looked badass!

buhdontcare

Quick google search and this came up...it is a sweet looking soft-slant-back but the "normal" version still has it beat IMO.
Why would this kit be so inexpensive on Ironplanet? It's half the cost of Plan B (but looks just like theirs.) Is this ready to be installed OR do you need a bunch more hardware? From past auctions, it appears this will go for $3,500.

(link to active auction, removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

3jacks

Why would this kit be so inexpensive on Ironplanet? It's half the cost of Plan B (but looks just like theirs.) Is this ready to be installed OR do you need a bunch more hardware? From past auctions, it appears this will go for $3,500.

(link removed)
Not sure but maybe they weren't selling many and need to unload some inventory. Doesn't look like much hardware is needed to install it but I doubt it comes assembled...

Last edited by a moderator:

nattieleather

As far as I know the slant back was done to give the gunner a better field of vision and firing position. Also someone please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the original slant back fiberglass? Where as that plan b kit looks to be steel or aluminum? Also the GI slant back hatch will open from either end. So it can open from the tail gate or open from the top.

As for what you want to do with your truck. It's your truck. Do what you want to do. If a canvas top slanting down to the tail gate is what you want. Go for it. You want to give money to someone for the plan b kit....do it. Want to spend the big bucks on the actual GI top...Spend it! It's you truck do as you wish.

Lawdog734

As far as I know the slant back was done to give the gunner a better field of vision and firing position. Also someone please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the original slant back fiberglass? Where as that plan b kit looks to be steel or aluminum? Also the GI slant back hatch will open from either end. So it can open from the tail gate or open from the top.
- While the slantback design does allow increased visibility, it's primary purpose was to minimize the affects of backblast when shooting a TOW missile.
- The original (M1025 style) slantbacks are steel with current (M1114's, etc) being aluminum.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The orginals are steel or aluminum. The slant was to reduce the possibility of damage when firing a TOW missle from the vehicle. IMHO. If you want a slant top truck save the money be patient and get an original setup . All the others just look kind of goofy to me. Or keep the soft top. My favorites are the slant and the 2dr pickup

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
- While the slantback design does allow increased visibility, it's primary purpose was to minimize the affects of backblast when shooting a TOW missile.
- The original (M1025 style) slantbacks are steel with current (M1114's, etc) being aluminum.
Info : Lawdog734 is mostly correct.
The M10xx series are steel sheet metal
The M1114 are thick steel [ roof ] with different turret and support, same older sponsons will work from M10XX series.
M1151, 1165.... uses an aluminum roof, sponsons, hatch , and turret.
I have turrets for all these.

Lawdog734

Info : Lawdog734 is mostly correct.
The M10xx series are steel sheet metal
The M1114 are thick steel [ roof ] with different turret and support, same older sponsons will work from M10XX series.
M1151, 1165.... uses an aluminum roof, sponsons, hatch , and turret.
I have turrets for all these.
My bad -thanks for the correction!

Info : Lawdog734 is mostly correct.The M10xx series are steel sheet metalThe M1114 are thick steel [ roof ] with different turret and support, same older sponsons will work from M10XX series.M1151, 1165.... uses an aluminum roof, sponsons, hatch , and turret.I have turrets for all these.
do you know the NSN's for them?
I was looking in tm 9-2320-387-24P (the one on kascar's sight for M1113-M1165) and found these NSN's, but im not sure if they're steel or aluminum.
roof nsn 2510014346626. part number 4660800
hatch nsn 2510014567889. part number 12446907 or 12446908
left sponson part number 12469212
right sponson part number 12469211
thanks

dohabandit

I have original slantback on my HMMWV. It is 100% steel and is heavy as ****. There is an anodized rollbar that inserts into the B pillars which makes it hard to install at home unless you have a cherry picker.
My brother has some trucks used for putting signs up and we were able to use that to position the top and get the roll bar blocks to insert into the B pillars.
The rear hatch needs gas tubes to assist with opening, unless you are feeling like the Hulk today. (I never got the tubes installed on mine).
The rear hatch can also open at the top and hinge at the lower point.
As far as I know, there wasn't a fiberglass version, but there is a version with a cooling unit and vents cut into the rear sponson.
hmmwv.PNG

Action

do you know the NSN's for them?
I was looking in tm 9-2320-387-24P (the one on kascar's sight for M1113-M1165) and found these NSN's, but im not sure if they're steel or aluminum.
roof nsn 2510014346626. part number 4660800
hatch nsn 2510014567889. part number 12446907 or 12446908
left sponson part number 12469212
right sponson part number 12469211
thanks
If the m1114 has a steel roof, and the m1151 ha san aluminum roof, look in the parts book for each item in question. The entire page of a particular roof is only for one model (series). Look at the item description for the usable on codes. There is a list in the front of the book that states which code is for which model.

I have original slantback on my HMMWV. It is 100% steel and is heavy as ****. There is an anodized rollbar that inserts into the B pillars which makes it hard to install at home unless you have a cherry picker.
My brother has some trucks used for putting signs up and we were able to use that to position the top and get the roll bar blocks to insert into the B pillars.
The rear hatch needs gas tubes to assist with opening, unless you are feeling like the Hulk today. (I never got the tubes installed on mine).
The rear hatch can also open at the top and hinge at the lower point.
As far as I know, there wasn't a fiberglass version, but there is a version with a cooling unit and vents cut into the rear sponson.
View attachment 724266
The slantback roof does not have to be installed completely assembled. I put one together with me and one other person.

The entire page of a particular roof is only for one model (series). Look at the item description for the usable on codes. There is a list in the front of the book that states which code is for which model.
thanks. i should have known that, but who reads the instructions before just diving in? lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks