• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave plug for MEP genset - cost effective options(?)

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We made another battery cart with 4 batteries on it. Had them hooked up, so we could jump off the 5 tons, and use all 4 batteries. If we needed to jump off a gen set, or 2.5 ton truck, we flipped a switch, and a relay cut two batteries out of the system. We could have just used a second slave plug. But wanted to be a bit more "Technical" and sophisticated!
Why cut out 2 of 4…. Were the trucks a different voltage than the gens?

Guyfang

Staff member
Amperage. 24 VDC, but Series/Parallel wired.

Five Tons use 4 batteries, because starting is a tad more work. And when you are on a hill top, (some would call it a mountain, but after you have seen the Rockies and Alps..........) where it often got down to -25 or -30 Cel, and snow bung hole deep to a giraffe, a little extra umph, is good.

1668204370860.png

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amperage. 24 VDC, but Series/Parallel wired.

Five Tons use 4 batteries, because starting is a tad more work. And when you are on a hill top, (some would call it a mountain, but after you have seen the Rockies and Alps..........) where it often got down to -25 or -30 Cel, and snow bung hole deep to a giraffe, a little extra umph, is good.

View attachment 884153
But there's no reason not to use all four even on low amperage slave starts. It'll only draw the amps it needs.

(Or am I missing something?)

Scoobyshep

We have some big DC equipment at work, 24 and 48 vdc. Fun part is all the battery chargers are 24 vdc. The battery disconnects and jumpers are all anderson connectors and when you pull the disconnects the jumpers (think a plate with several connectors) the mating connector on the charger can hit the smaller 24 volt arrays and charge them simultaneously. so the load connector is a series tap and the charger is parallel.

I wish I could show these things

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have some big DC equipment at work, 24 and 48 vdc. Fun part is all the battery chargers are 24 vdc. The battery disconnects and jumpers are all anderson connectors and when you pull the disconnects the jumpers (think a plate with several connectors) the mating connector on the charger can hit the smaller 24 volt arrays and charge them simultaneously. so the load connector is a series tap and the charger is parallel.

Me too! Sounds fascinating!

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I like their trickle charger. I don’t like it’s price, though. Does a member make something similar that I could buy? Ideas?
Is there no Military base near by? Do they still have auctions at DRMO? I think they still do here in Germany. Everything is on line, with pictures. A cable could be found there in scrap.

Guyfang

Staff member

Why cant you? Take a picture and use the Attach files, of simply copy a picture, and click on the reply area, and post it.
Open to show comments.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like their trickle charger. I don’t like it’s price, though. Does a member make something similar that I could buy? Ideas?
I make them. 12v/24v, alligator clips or slave plug. I've got a couple in KS but I won't be there for months. It charges through the slave port at 4 amps and then drops to a trickle as the batteries become charged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks