• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave Receptacle Question

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, for an 84, it would not have had one. NATO has been the standard since late 70s to early 80s.

dmetalmiki

That I know, All American trucks use U.S. slave start receptacles. And There is a N.A.T.O. Adaptor that is carried to connect Single Pin N.A.T.O. to two pin U.S. Slaves. I carry TWO British Single Male pin to Two pin Male U.S. Jumper slave adaptors in each of my trucks. (and they are capable of linking up as ONE long continuous jump start cable). I have the ability to 'jump start Any truck, tank, or 24 volt jeep be it NATO Swedish Russian or American.).
Lighting and trailer sockets are another matter. N.A.T.O. military vehicles have the N.A.T.O. trailer connectors. connector, U.S. Military trucks have the U.S. standard trailer sockets.
Strange how NOTHING but nothing in any book google or anywhere else informs about the NATO trucks towing other nations trailers, and vice versa.
NATO trucks are not compatible with Swedish units. Or U.S. ones that I know of.
When I was in service, the U.S. Tractors carried adaptor conversion boxes.
My trucks (M. series) Are fitted with U.S. Outlets and British outlets at 24 Volts.
So I can (and do) tow U.S. Army trailers and British (NATO) trailers. OR Trucks (with my M62 Wrecker).
E.G. Just to inform. NATO stuff Can Show brake lights AND A turn signal at the same time.
U.S. Army stuff Shows the Brakes light BUT to register a turn, the SELECTED brake light side goes out!!. (then on then off..). IF no brake lights are on, Then Just the selected side flashes. On then Off..
( See how complicated it was to convert my cables!). Nightmare seriously. And that includes making a cable for towing Any of my U.S. trucks with another U.S. Truck.
Want to see (really) complicated?
M62 Wrecker, Towing a Praga, Towing a Deuce. ALL lights AND signals Working.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can a deuce be jumped or slave started with the receptacle even if it has no batts of it's own?

Thanks
Yes, you must tape up the positive terminal real good and whatever you do, don't unplug the cable until you shut the slaved vehicle off.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frc690 - most of the M35s (and other trucks) I saw surplussed off say 15 years ago had the two-pin slave receptacle on the cab. (My M35A2, M109A3, M185A3, M813, M715s, V100, all have 2-pin), but they were all built before 1984. For a deuce actually built in 1984, then...?

Many of the deuce-types I have seen surplussed in more recent years have the single pin receptacle, but it looks like they were retrofitted to replace the earlier style.
All the "later" style vehicles (M939, CUCV, etc) came from the factory with single pin.

Unless you are looking to represent a specific early period, the single pin slave port is as accurate on an M35 as a two-pin, and probably your best choice for actual use.

I personally shy away from referring to the single-pin type as a NATO receptacle, as the older two-pin type was also referred to by that name in my military days (late 70s-late 80s). When the CUCVs/Humvees/M939s first showed up (Mid-80s), there were often some "Vat der hey?!?" moments when it came to slaving between them and the other vehicles!

Cheers

Guyfang

Staff member
All vehicles in the early 1970's, when I got to Germany were fitted with the two pin slave receptacle. Many new vehicles that came to Germany, up until the early 90's, came with two pole plugs. Granted, "new" can often mean from storage, someplace here in Germany. Indeed, a large number of vehicles that were issued for desert storm, came with the two pin plug. Every mechanic carried a NATO adapter in his toolbox. But an 1984 built truck probably was a 50/50 chance of coming to us with the old plug.

JDToumanian

You can really spike the voltages of your alt that way.

Good way to ruin a working alt.
Ok, that makes sense... I'd never tried or even thought about starting a vehicle with no battery using the slave port. So you plug a running truck with a battery into a dead truck with no battery to start it... Once it's started, you're saying you shut off the truck with the battery before unplugging? Doesn't that pose the same risk to the alternator of the now-running truck with no battery?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, that makes sense... I'd never tried or even thought about starting a vehicle with no battery using the slave port. So you plug a running truck with a battery into a dead truck with no battery to start it... Once it's started, you're saying you shut off the truck with the battery before unplugging? Doesn't that pose the same risk to the alternator of the now-running truck with no battery?
The truck with no battery MUST remain slave connected to the truck WITH the battery at all times the engine is running in the truck with no battery.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never run a truck with no batteries or completely dead batteries (without it being connected to another truck with a slave cable).

dmetalmiki

Never run a truck with no batteries or completely dead batteries (without it being connected to another truck with a slave cable).
Absolutely. (As) There is no regulation if the engine is running with no batteries connected.
Also it is very bad practice (as) this same no regulation can result in a violent surge back to the Slaving vehicle. Viz. Effectively you would be 'charging' the slaving trucks electrical system with two Alternators.
In service, there was never any reason to 'start' a vehicle with no batteries.
Flat (not dead) batteries were charged a while by the slaving vehicle. Then a start attempted.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an '86 M35A2C2 (Air Force) truck that is not equipped with a slave port. Metal blank was never removed from the cab.
I guess the Air Force never thought they would need a jump....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks