• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slavin a CUCV

Westech

CPL
if there was grease or dirt or water on the resestor then yes.. they will smoke... Remember they do get HOT! I have seen them smoke if sitting or have been washed or it has rained.... you get the picture.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure, my trucks catch on fire(and smoke) every time they are jump started... It is a combustion engine!

Last edited:

The G Man

Seen it a time or two, as said before if has been sitting a long time or resistor is wet. Did you smell any burnt wiring smell? I have found if unsure of vehicle better to unhook batteries, charge them, rehook and try to start. I just feel more comfortable to do that, than throw 60, 100, 0r 200 amps of 24 volts into a electrical system I'm not sure of. Hope everything works out of you and your truck. Take care and have a good one

Crash_AF

If the resistor itself was smoking, it might have just been heating up any contaminants that were on it. Did it stop smoking and function normally, or is it smoking each time you try to start the truck?

Does it smell like a burnt electrical smell or oily or...

Later,
Joe

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
He said he was able to remove the slave cable and start the truck on its own. Sounds like it was just burning oil off.

AndrewH

Can someone explain, is that resistor in a position where it gets unusually hot when slaveing? Is it under increased current while jumpstarting as compared to a normal start? I just got my M1009 home so I havnt gotten to slave start anything yet.

Crash_AF

No, it only gets hot under load from the glow plugs when they are activated. If the truck sits for a long time, dust gets down on it and can burn off, causing funny smells and smoke until it's cleaned off.

And in case that was clear as mud, it gets the same temp whether slaving or normal starting.

Later,
Joe

AndrewH

It looks as though that resistor has been removed. It is not there. The other trucks have it on the plate above and behind the engine and the m1009 does not have the plate or the resistor, the glow plugs are wired to the terminal block just above the master. I picked it up from Ft campbell so I know no one other than Uncle Sam has been in there. Should I bother trying to find a replacement? It appears to work fine. AndrewH

markinnh

geez, hard to tell the sarcasm, joking around, and genuine rib poking with these comments....keep a fire extinguisher handy is another...