• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slick cheap EGT Gauge w/probe (K-type)

Billy Bobbed

I just bought one today, digital pyrometer 24volt .Do you have to take anything off to drill the hole.I know they say the shavings could get in the turbo.Can you put grease on the drill bit.What is max. temp.

tm america

love the tip about drilling and tapping the hole with it running .ive been wanting to put a pyro on my truck but didnt want to pull the turbo to do it:roll:thanks guys

Chief_919

Billy,
All you have to take off is the air filter and housing. When you drill the hole and tap, just do it with the engine running.

Idling with no load you won't have any back pressure to speak of- not enough to ensure your drilling debris gets pushed out anyway.

I wouldn't risk it.

scooter01922

Thats why you do this.....can't remember who told me this. Just put ducttape over part of the exhaust. Half or so ought to do just fine. If it gets blown off you had to much covered.

fireman9

Idling with no load you won't have any back pressure to speak of- not enough to ensure your drilling debris gets pushed out anyway.

I wouldn't risk it.
I installed a few thermocouples in dodge trucks and I've always started the hole with the engine off then started it up and kept drilling. Pack the bit and tap with grease, tape up the pipe some and don the SAFETY GLASSES.

The cast material drill filings are very fine and I've seen bigger pieces of carbon pass thru a turbo than them, go slow and easy.

Yes removing the turbo is the right way of doing the job, But I know that mine wasn't gonna budge without breaking the mounting hardware.

nhdiesel

Any pyros I've installed, I did them with the engine off. I use grease on the tap and drill. Once drilled & tapped, I use a small extendable magnet and fish around for any shavings. Then I use a bent tool (old screwdriver or something) to put down the hole and scrape around the bottom of the drilled/tapped hole to make sure there are no burrs left that could flake off later, then use the magnet again. Then start the truck and let it idle a few minutes, just in case there is a spec left.

Jim

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once drilled & tapped, I use a small extendable magnet and fish around for any shavings.
The problem with doing this on the deuce (if you drill right before the turbo) is that the only place for the shavings to fall is directly into the turbo.

I drilled mine with the engine running. It was alot less violent than I expected. I figured it would blow shavings and hot air everywhere. There wasn't alot of pressure or heat but enough to keep the chips blown out. Took maybe 5 min max to drill and tap. After doing in and seeing how easy it was I'll never fool with pulling the turbo or using grease ever again.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling a turbo isn't that big of a deal why not just pull it to be safe?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks