• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

slow and steady wins the race

Carter

I guess I have missed something, why is the front end off and the engine out?
How well did it tow like that? Thanks, Carter

citizensoldier

Nice truck, citizensoldier
What rims are those?
1943 WWII Dodge combat rims with 1100/16 XL's wrapped around them.. I love the look of a combat rim..
Well I pulled the motor last fall and rebuilt another 251 for it two years ago.. Finally found a Canadian ACME PTO and modified the front for a winch. Now I need to rebuild the trans and put the PTO on and back in it will go..
Them darn deuces keep growing in the yard and taking up all my time so my beloved 54 CDN sits and cries..
Oh and I need to rebuild the winch I have for it too..

TedG

Good score for the tires and rims alone are big $$$.

Last edited:

citizensoldier

I guess I have missed something, why is the front end off and the engine out?
How well did it tow like that? Thanks, Carter
The original 251 motor started to spin #6 rod so out she came.. Had another 251 for it but the crank was cracked in 4 places. I then found a 251 chrysler marine engine with a good crank "Thanks Dave!" and used that crank. The motor is bored 30 over and all new everything. Soon it shall run again.

I wanted to put a winch on it because up here a truck without a winch is like tits on a hog.. So started the search for a CDN PTO.. only took 3 years but I found one..

T. Highway

1943 WWII Dodge combat rims with 1100/16 XL's wrapped around them.. I love the look of a combat rim..
Well I pulled the motor last fall and rebuilt another 251 for it two years ago.. Finally found a Canadian ACME PTO and modified the front for a winch. Now I need to rebuild the trans and put the PTO on and back in it will go..
Them darn deuces keep growing in the yard and taking up all my time so my beloved 54 CDN sits and cries..
Oh and I need to rebuild the winch I have for it too..
1100/16 tires? Is there any rubbing issues with that size of tire? Is that a radial tire?

I love the look of a combat rim. Me to!

citizensoldier

It is a radial tire but you still need to use radial tubes and flaps with the Budd rims or the combat rims. No rubbing issues.. They give you a little bit more top end and ride nice. They can rob the 230 of some power but you always have low range..:-D

T. Highway

Great looking trucks.

Now I'm going to be on a mission to find tires, tubes and flaps like that for my Budd wheels. Any pointers on where to start looking? I will have to wait a bit to get the combat rims.