• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow Speeds

snowtrac nome

your goin 45 in second likely your not feeling first shift or like all the older 4l80's I worked on they just defaulted to second and reverse. The connector you are looking for is under the drivers side rear seat, there is an aluminum water proof box that houses the tcm, that connector plugs in to the box

Wire Fox

I only have 2 seats. It's a truck version. It'll be underneath the cab?
If you aren't aware of them, prepare to be blown away when you discover that your 2-man truck actually has rear seats hiding underneath the truck bed filler panels. Between each front seat and the rear wheel well/sponson, you'll find that there are large metal panels that make up part of the floor (Maybe about 2.5x4 ft sized?). You can disconnect these and lift them up to reveal the passenger footwells and rear seat bases. There's a good chance that the seat cushions will be attached there, and there might just be stuff hiding in those seat bases, too. For a sense of perspective, you would be doing this all while standing in your truck bed-no need to crawl underneath to look at the TCM.

Action

with an overdrive,
1st is good for up to 27 mph
2nd to 45 mph
D to 55

according to your pics, are you saying that you put the selector in ! and drive 45? Why would you do that?
Maybe the linkage is not adjusted properly and you are actually in 2nd.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no kick down switch on a 4L80e equipped truck on the injector pump, or any other Hmmwv for that matter, it's a fan disconnect switch. Perform the driveabilty tests in the Troubleshooting section of the TM's.
there is a throttle position sensor on the pump that works in conjunction with the crank position sensor.[/UOTE]

24p-1 says the A0 and A1 trucks had the trans kick down. Shown below in the engine harness diagram.

View attachment 666322

They do, this isn't an A0/A1 truck...TH400 is mechanical, it's uses a cable in the trans modulator.
4L80E "E"=electronic, it needs a TCM, TOSS, TPS, CPS and brake switch to unlock the TC on braking.
inside the 4L80E are shift solenoid packs....they do go bad and are easy to replace.
If you have no idea what your doing or looking at, go to a good trans shop. This is a standard GM trans.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you aren't aware of them, prepare to be blown away when you discover that your 2-man truck actually has rear seats hiding underneath the truck bed filler panels. Between each front seat and the rear wheel well/sponson, you'll find that there are large metal panels that make up part of the floor (Maybe about 2.5x4 ft sized?). You can disconnect these and lift them up to reveal the passenger footwells and rear seat bases. There's a good chance that the seat cushions will be attached there, and there might just be stuff hiding in those seat bases, too. For a sense of perspective, you would be doing this all while standing in your truck bed-no need to crawl underneath to look at the TCM.

Not always...true M1037s, M1113's etc... and others never had them as they were removed for the shelters.
the TCM will just be bolted to the floor....my M1037A2 didn't have any rear seat boxes.

President Camacho

Thanks so much for letting me know where this thing is. I would have never had a clue where it was. I finally found the relevant info in the manual and have learned that limp will ONLY operate in 2nd. So the symptoms match! I'm happy about that at least. Hoping this is all an electrical problem! Slowly starting to understand what's happening here and get my feet underneath me. Thanks for all the help everyone.

"The recorded codes stored in the TCM are known as TROUBLE CODES which are retrieved using the Diagnostic Switch Cable on the J2 connector of the TCM. The TCM can protect the transmission from damage by locking it in Second Gear, with maximum fluid pressure, until the problem has been corrected." From: 280-20-1 2-411

Road Test is at 2-413

linhster

Unlike a woman (no disrespect to any ladies out there), you can and will understand the HMMWV but only with valuable time and experience. Good luck and have fun with your humvee.

Happy Valentines Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NormB

When it comes to women, it appears that you just don't have the correct technical manuals. :grin::wink:
The words of the late Jerry Doyle come to mind here: "Remember, you're a lot happier if you're unhappy and she's happy than if she's unhappy and you're happy."

I believe the same can apply to MVs, too.

Then again, Saint Valentine wasn't writing letters to a chariot.

NB

Wire Fox

Unlike a woman (no disrespect to any ladies out there), you can and will understand the HMMWV but only with valuable time and experience. Good luck and have fun with your humvee.

Happy Valentines Day
Last contribution I have to derailing this thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last contribution I have to derailing this thread...

...now I have to say that I really like my girlfriend. She's got a few complexities, but she likes the world being straight-forward, like me. None of this saying one thing and meaning another BS. It's why I love to be around her (and she's more excited about me having a HMMWV than I am-not because she loves HMMWVs, but she knows that I love them)

Attachments

President Camacho

It's only good for 11 days. I'm way past expired. I don't trust any of these kinds of guarantees/insurance... seems like they always make it so difficult as to make it impossible to collect anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks