• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

slow start issues with 6.2 diesel

wiccantoy

1986 chevy truck is running newer betterys, but just recently the truck doesnt want to start after the normal few seconds after the glow plug light goes out. i tested the gloe plugs with a test light and they all seem to be good. where would you also look into other items to test???????

cjkoschnick

Slow start-

Something simple to try is to remove your glowplugs to see if any are swollen. Mine tested OK but I found a few so swollen that I needed a prybar with a notch cut in the end to help them out!

cjkoschnick

controller card

Yes- the controller card is under the dash in a black plastic case about the size of a deck of cards. Checking the card operation is beyond my skill-level but there are some good threads here that explain how to check or bypass it.

wiccantoy

ok i can hear it working. but ive been looking over my blazer and studying some of the wiring. and the next item i am going to test tommorow is the cts cause if the engine thinks the block is hot from a bad sensor it will not allow the glow plugs to get a good burn to heat everything.

but thsm you for any advice

EO2NMCB

You said that you checked you GP's with a test light, that is only going to tell you that you have power to the plugs. Ohm each plug with a DMM, a good plug will be 1 to 3 ohms, above or below that number and you have a bad plug. If one plug goes bad the others will follow as they are drawing more power, and will cause them to swell.

EO2NMCB

Yes to a mulitimeter, you want to put one lead on the threads of the glow plug and the other lead on the tip/spade of the plug (with the wire removed from the GP)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sajer

Mine has also started acting funny on the start, kind of like the batteries are low and then i switch off and back on and she fires right up. Is yours doing the same?

wiccantoy

mine is just hard starting even after i cycle the key 2 times. the batterys are 1 year old. im in the process of ohming the glow plugs right now. but want another ohm meter to verify mine is working 100% before i go spend the money

Sajer

So i take it the starter is engaging but no turn over?

Mine activates the card with a notable click and then you get the rrrrrrrrr. I then switch off and then back on and it fires. My batteries are less that a year old also. Alternators check out as good as do the batteries.

wiccantoy

So i take it the starter is engaging but no turn over?

Mine activates the card with a notable click and then you get the rrrrrrrrr. I then switch off and then back on and it fires. My batteries are less that a year old also. Alternators check out as good as do the batteries.

actually it is spinning with no problem. it just isnt starting

Barrman

Do the Ohm check of each plug. Also remember that the glow plugs are not a permanent installment. They were made to be replaced every few years even if they check out ok.

Just for kicks, put a volt meter on the pink wire to the IP. Verify that voltage is there and stays there while you are cranking the engine over. Thinking long shot here, but it is easy to check. Once that checks out ok, go back to the glow plugs.

scottodog

There is a test for plugs with them installed. Take a lighted tester put the point end to power and the ground clip to the terminal on the glow plug where the wire would hook up, if it lights up the plug is good if not its burned out. It saves some time. Take the same light tester and make sure power goes to the wire for the plug when you turn the key on.