• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sludge in the fuel cans

Seth_O

I finally got around to pulling my fuel filter cans yesterday in prep for new filters.

When I dropped them I found they had about 1/2" of sludge in the bottom, mixture of goo + rust flakes/chunks + sediment it looked like? I am going to line my cans with a gas tank liner, and will eventually need to tackle my fuel tank I am sure, but do you guys have a similar experience when you pull your fuel filters? Does this mean the filters are working as intended and keeping the junk out of the hh, or is it indicative of a problem?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, I have the same thing. They are doing their job. I wouldn't have them lined, just pull them and clean them once or twice a year.

Seth_O

Cheers gimp - that makes me feel better. That junk is N A S T Y. I already have the liner en route, so for $25 I'll just use it and see how it does.

x-ray

On 4 GL trucks I have seen pulled out and changed filters on, only one didn't have caked on crap plugging the bottoms & drain-cock. Had to literally sandblast one to get it clean again. Once clean, they haven't gotten bad at all, but I haven't driven a lot either. My 2 cents is the liners may help, but now that you have cleaned them up, you may not have the gunk build up again so bad.

I am under the impression that largely these sat for years with water in the lines and when used, not done so with proper care - I can't believe how plugged some of these were and still ran fairly well.

jasonjc

I've found the same thing. That is why every one should change the filter when they get a new (to them) truck. This is the same reason you should do a full lube and brake job too. You never know what these trucks have been put thought. Or who has been doing the maintenace. Just because it came from the military does not mean it was well maintaned.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most maintenance in the military is done by 18 year olds who don't care too much because they don't own the vehicles. They do the bare minimum to get by when the motor pool sergeant isn't looking. Keep that in mind.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After dealing with lined motorcycle tanks in the past, there's NO WAY I'd want to deal with them on a scale 1000% larger.:shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks