• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sm465 swap into a M1008

cook6657

I bought a 1979 k20 with a sm465 manual transmission and np205. I know I need a new 139 tooth flywheel. Do I get a clutch for a 1979 truck of for a 1985 which is the year of my m1008. Need help on this one. I'm going to keep the mechanical setup if it makes a differenceaua

sweetk30

year for parts truck will be just fine .

but make sure the flywheel year takes the same part # clutch .

these old trucks were fairly forgiving until 85-up oem hydraulic clutch stuff . then it would get a little fun .

Kaiser67M715

just get the clutch and pressure plate for a diesel(pre-85) as I think the pressure plate changed slightly for the hydraulic set up and maybe pressure is different between gas and diesel, that should mean if you go to the parts store-"1984 Chevy K20 with 6.2 diesel, SM-465" should get you the correct parts

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my flywheel and such through Rock Auto. Been well over a year and still haven't done the swap. I will look for an invoice but don't hold your breath. Also, you will need to clearance your bellhousing to clear the 6.2 starter.

cook6657

I ordered my flywheel today part number 502710 and the the clutch is the same part number for diesel and 350. I have already swapped the the steering and pedals over. It is much easier with the parts truck parked next to my truck. Next question to anybody who has done the swap. The parts truck has a np205 that doesn't have a slip yoke. It has a short shaft going to a second crossmember and the a slip yoke . Should I have a drive shaft made of keep this setup. My truck is being built for offroad. The setup on the 79 parts truck looks pretty tough. I think if I had a shaft made for the rear it would be really long to have a slip in the center.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a possibility that the 79 was a cab/chassis truck? The have a longer wheel base and use the carrier bearing. You should be fine without it on a pickup.

cook6657

Swap is done. Thanks for the advice. God those parts are heavy. The drive shaft for the front needed some grinding because of the lift. The rear shaft from the parts truck is really funky. What is the best source for a custom shaft?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks