• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small 24 volt winches for LMHC

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking to put together a LMHC for my M1078 since finding a military one is near impossible. I am looking to find a source for small (2-3 thousand lb) 24-volt winches here in the US, but everything I find is 12 volts. Anyone have a source for a 24 volt that small?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looking to put together a LMHC for my M1078 since finding a military one is near impossible. I am looking to find a source for small (2-3 thousand lb) 24-volt winches here in the US, but everything I find is 12 volts. Anyone have a source for a 24 volt that small?
What's wrong with a 12v unit? The truck is predominantly 12v anyway .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Nothing, but short of converting all the NATO plugs to 12 volts, I really like the simplicity of getting power through them like the LMHC the military uses does.
Just add a nato plug box in the bed and run 12v to it. You should only have the nato plug under the battery box. Take 20mins to make a box. I can send you a nato plug. I've got a few dozen of em.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
But if you insist on 24v.

10k vertical lift capacity and its not very big. There is a synthetic rope available or go cable. Its gonna be cheaper to run a nato plug and 12v winch though.

If you have a winch setup on the 1078 you can get the 3500lb hydraulic winch off of the M1070s. They are pretty powerful and overbuilt

Attachments

Last edited:

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just add a nato plug box in the bed and run 12v to it. You should only have the nato plug under the battery box. Take 20mins to make a box. I can send you a nato plug. I've got a few dozen of em.
After seeing the price on that winch, I am beginning to like your idea even better......Didn't think about running a new 12-volt line to a new box. Gonna be busy moving over the next few days, I will reach out for plugs once I get a chance to breath.

coachgeo

RE: small 24v winch desire

do a net. search for [ 12v winch 24v ]

one will find ton of info on it. Lot of competition poorer mans mud and rally truck guys do this cause it doubles the speed of the motor.. does NOT double the pulling power...... just the speed. They do it with full size winches of course. some switch out the relays for 24v.... other's don't.... they activate solenoids with 12v..... but the connection completes a 24v circuit.. (or something to that effect.... not exactly sure)

Ronmar

The beauty of 24 is for given ammount of work, the cables can be significantly smaller than those needed for that much work at 12V.

Yea 24 will be a little harder on the motor windings and brushes, and if you really load it up, well you have more potential than those components can handle… But in this application, being fed from a slave plug, will have some line losses which will get the 24v closer to the 12V motors ideal, so probably not a bad match up for this application.

The contactors/relays are typically controlled by 12V so swapping them for 24v coils is not a bad idea As they will run hot, but this is probably not going to see a terrifically high duty cycle either…

gslader

Here is my 12v LMHC set-up. I have two 12v batteries wired in parallel and tucked into a marine battery box (I replaced all four of my truck batteries and took two of the "old" 12v batteries and used them for crane) that I just strap down to the bed of my truck. It makes it easy to either pull the crane off altogether or relocate it to a different corner of the truck bed.

The winch came stock with 10g wire (I know seems like a light gauge to handle the potential current loads but I've had no issues so far - even with pretty continuous use) so I used the same gauge wire to connect the batteries in parallel and added an SAE connector to the battery and to the LMHC. That way I can quickly and easily connect the battery bank and LMHC - I also use the same SAE connector to charge the battery bank after use.

So far I've been really happy with the set-up; it's been a good balance of ease of use and portability.

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks