• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small update on my truck.

tsmall07

I've just replaced the batteries and man does that engine spin now! I got 2 neverstarts from Walmart to get me by till I can get all of the electrical issues worked out.

The engine spins fast now to start, but it still won't start without a quick shot of ether after sitting for a while. I'm guessing that I have a fuel leak somewhere and the pressure is leaking down over time. Any thoughts?

My dash lights are also not working. That makes it very hard to drive at night.... :lol:

I don't know what I'm going to do about this thing. :?

Anyone want to come by Blacksburg and help me sort this thing out some?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
tsmall07 said:
I've just replaced the batteries and man does that engine spin now! I got 2 neverstarts from Walmart to get me by till I can get all of the electrical issues worked out.

The engine spins fast now to start, but it still won't start without a quick shot of ether after sitting for a while. I'm guessing that I have a fuel leak somewhere and the pressure is leaking down over time. Any thoughts?

My dash lights are also not working. That makes it very hard to drive at night.... :lol:

I don't know what I'm going to do about this thing. :?

Anyone want to come by Blacksburg and help me sort this thing out some?
Man be careful with that ether.....Mine wouldn't start easily after the throttleshaft seal started leaking, all the fuel bled out of the IP, so it cranked for awhile......before it would go. replaced the IP, now it fires right up

tsmall07

RE: Re: Small update on my truck.

I only spray one quick shot. It runs fine once it does start. Can you need a new IP and still have the truck run fine?

littlebob

I've heard that engine will run without the in tank fuel pump operating and can't remember what was said about the things that would happen if it wasn't working. I have also read a lot of articles that Bjorn has posted and put in print. Having worked on cars and trucks with the DC systems for the last 30YRS, I have found that my demon was the ground most of the time.I would make sure that you have a good ground to the fuel tank for the pump to operate properly and you could have the same probplem with the dash lights. A good way to diagnose either one might be to run an external ground wire on a clean unpainted surface and see if the problems go away. As far as the dash lights go, check the bulbs first with an ohmeter and if they're good it might be a ground problem also.
Hope this helps,
littlebob

mangus580

RE: Re: Small update on my truck.

I would suspect your glow plugs arent working properly. Search the forums for Glow Plug issues, and you will see my methods of testing listed...

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Small update on my truck.

littlebob said:
I've heard that engine will run without the in tank fuel pump operating and can't remember what was said about the things that would happen if it wasn't working. I have also read a lot of articles that Bjorn has posted and put in print. Having worked on cars and trucks with the DC systems for the last 30YRS, I have found that my demon was the ground most of the time.I would make sure that you have a good ground to the fuel tank for the pump to operate properly and you could have the same probplem with the dash lights. A good way to diagnose either one might be to run an external ground wire on a clean unpainted surface and see if the problems go away. As far as the dash lights go, check the bulbs first with an ohmeter and if they're good it might be a ground problem also.
Hope this helps,
littlebob
Does a 1980 something CUCV have an intank pump?, I thought it only had the mechanical lift pump on the engine block.....wondering about my truck now.....

tsmall07

Re: RE: Re: Small update on my truck.

mangus580 said:
I would suspect your glow plugs arent working properly.
I agree with you, they probably aren't, but its 60 degrees here tonight. They aren't needed when its that warm are they?

littlebob

Hope this helps,
littlebob

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Re: Small update on my truck.

tsmall07 said:
mangus580 said:
I would suspect your glow plugs arent working properly.
I agree with you, they probably aren't, but its 60 degrees here tonight. They aren't needed when its that warm are they?
Yes, if the engine is cold, from my experience......I have 60's in mine. When I got the truck all 8 were bad and it would not start, I put in the 60's and it fired right up. Checked mine (old GP's) with a meter and they all read open....

tsmall07

I just went out and tried to start it after it sat for about 30 min. It took about 7 seconds of cranking before it would start and then it ran a little rough for the first few seconds. :?:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Small update on my truck.

tsmall07 said:
I just went out and tried to start it after it sat for about 30 min. It took about 7 seconds of cranking before it would start and then it ran a little rough for the first few seconds. :?:
Is your wait light on the dash coming on?, and then extinguishing after a time, also your battery meter should drop down a bit when the plugs are heating up, I can see a difference in mine when the GP's are warming, also you should be able to hear the solenoid on the firewall engage/disengage, the battery meter should mirror the solenoid action, on, meter drops, off, batt meter needle rises

tsmall07

RE: Re: RE: Small update on my truck.

The wait light goes on, but it doesn't go off. I've already figured out that the controller card is bad. I'm going to install a switch in the system soon. I haven't noticed the volt meter doing anything, but I just put new batts in tonight (old ones were completely gone since I got it) so I'll look for that tomorrow.

mangus580

The 6.2 generally wont start without glowplugs under about 80°. CC is right... if your glow plugs arent working at all, dont bother starting it until you wire up your manual button. It doesnt take much to do it.

Also.... if you are using a stock system.... be sure to use Wellman 070 glow plugs. Anything else, and the controller may not function properly.

Armada

Sounds like you may be loosing your prime. First check for leaks in the fuel lines.
Check the mechanical pump output. Do this with another person. Remove wire from IP so it won't start then disconnect the rubber fuel line going into the filter block and crank engine. Catch fuel in a can or something. Fuel should be instant and strong pulses. A weak pump will still deliver fuel to the IP, but it's only a matter of time before it quits altogether.
Fuel should also not siphon back from the filter block, another reason for a long crank time, especially if the engine is warm and there is no need for the glowplugs. Connect the fuel line back up to the filter block and start engine. Shut off and let set 30 minutes or so again, like you did. Again unhook power wire on IP and as soon as you start to crank, have someone open the air bleeder (top hose) on the filter block. Fuel should be instant, if not, it's siphoning back to the tank and you're losing prime. Hope this helps.

tsmall07

Re: RE: Re: RE: Small update on my truck.

Armada said:
Sounds like you may be loosing your prime. First check for leaks in the fuel lines.
Check the mechanical pump output. Do this with another person. Remove wire from IP so it won't start then disconnect the rubber fuel line going into the filter block and crank engine. Catch fuel in a can or something. Fuel should be instant and strong pulses. A weak pump will still deliver fuel to the IP, but it's only a matter of time before it quits altogether.
Fuel should also not siphon back from the filter block, another reason for a long crank time, especially if the engine is warm and there is no need for the glowplugs. Connect the fuel line back up to the filter block and start engine. Shut off and let set 30 minutes or so again, like you did. Again unhook power wire on IP and as soon as you start to crank, have someone open the air bleeder (top hose) on the filter block. Fuel should be instant, if not, it's siphoning back to the tank and you're losing prime. Hope this helps.
That should help me a lot! Thanks! [thumbzup]

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Re: RE: Small update on my truck.

mangus580 said:
The 6.2 generally wont start without glowplugs under about 80°. CC is right... if your glow plugs arent working at all, dont bother starting it until you wire up your manual button. It doesnt take much to do it.

Also.... if you are using a stock system.... be sure to use Wellman 070 glow plugs. Anything else, and the controller may not function properly.
Mine seems to be working fine with the 60g plugs.......I still have 5 of the wellman plugs but they were not the best looking when I pulled them out

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Small update on my truck.

if you still have the power to teh relay coming from the large resistors on the firewall, you will burn out the 60g's. the gp's on the cucv get 24v when they first come on and then the resistors drop the voltage to ~14v as they heat up. the 60g's arent meant to see that kind of voltage.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Small update on my truck.

Don't overlook the obvious (seems to happen a lot):

While you are cranking it and it's not starting, is there any smoke puffing from the exhaust pipes? If not, then there's no fuel to even try and light off, regardless what the glow plugs are doing...

It might take 15 seconds of cranking before you see any puffs, but it will puff if there's any fuel at all trying to fire off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks