• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smallest tire on HMMWV rims??

llong66

Hello all, I have been tossing around the idea of getting a set of HMMWV rims for my truck and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is anything smaller than around a 37" tire that will fit these rims? I do want to lift my truck 4" but fit or not, I don't want 37" tires, that will put it up higher than I want. I would like to stay in the 34" to 35" range and have not been able to find anything that will fit those rims in that size. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
Greg

llong66

I imagine thats what I will ultimatly do, I have the original rims on the truck now. I have looked and looked and thought maybe I was missing something, I love the way the 24bolt rims look but just don't want that big of tire.

someoldmoose

305 / 35 R 20 is probably the SMALLEST tire that will safely fit. Any tire that is at least 12" (305 mm) wide by 20" rim diameter will work.

Last edited:

Beandip

even if you do a 4" lift. i think having a 37" tire (if its a true 37" tire, not sure i dont have a set anymore) will still give you just 1" difference in height if you were to do a 35. kind of a marginal difference if you ask me. it shouldn't make it a pain to get in/out of the truck.

but thats my .02 cents

Gripy

IMO, If I were to do it again. I would personally go with 16.5" rims and the 37" hummer tires. Unless you air down to 10psi or lower double beadlock rims are not necessary. The benefit of the military surplus tires is that they are cheap ($100-200ea). I have not worn down any of my tires. I tend to bust open the sidewall before treadwear becomes an issue(careless and running full pressure).
i only have 12bolt beadlocks. Imagine torqueing down 24 bolts in a star pattern X(times) 4! Also very few to none shops will be willing to touch those rims when its time to changes tires.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unsprung weight is bad, rotating mass is really bad. I wouldn't run a heavier wheel than necessary.
But that's just me. I also prefer larger diameter tires over lifted suspensions since the latter does nothing for ground clearance.

llong66

Thanks for the thoughts and replys, gringeltaube, this are some NICE but EXPENSIVE shoes! Beandip, I did not realize the diff. was that small!

Thanks!
Greg

Obijuank5

Any 16.5 tire will work that is at least 9" wide. Lots of options from super swamper and every once in a while BFG all terrains in the 35" tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks