• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smart Start Box, Glow Plugs, Sensor question

RJTM998

Alright, guys had a couple of questions and needing some advice. MY M998 6.2 (Prestolite Box, Wellman glow plugs) was smoking on start up and was showing no glow plug activity on the volt gauge. I had the glow plugs switched out and all seemed normal and was operating as it should for a few days. Volt gauge showed plugs coming on during "wait" light startup and then cyclce a few times after startup and go to green showing charging system.

Then I was driving it today and I noticed my volt gauge jumping around and clicking from the start box. It was doing this while sitting at a stop light, not on startup. I got stopped and the clicking kept going. I unplugged the sensor and it stopped clicking at the start box. I am not sure I didn't kill my glow plugs again.

Start box? Sensor? Glow plugs? One suggestion I heard was try a new sensor first and see if that fixes it. (Because I have the Prestolite it is not a common easy to find the sensor.) My issue if that was not it I would be switching to the more common Nartron or KDS box which requires a different sensor.

I am tempted to just start over with a new Smart Start box, sensor and new glow plugs.

Can installing a new start box and sensor and not plugs hurt the new start box? Trying to not change plugs again if they are actually good.

I have read you need a certain alternator for certain start boxes?

Nartron? KDS? Which is the preferred box?

Also considering going with the new Camosystems manual glow plug box. Thoughts?

If you were in my position what would you do?

Thoughts? Thanks guys!!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, guys had a couple of questions and needing some advice. MY M998 6.2 (Prestolite Box, Wellman glow plugs) was smoking on start up and was showing no glow plug activity on the volt gauge. I had the glow plugs switched out and all seemed normal and was operating as it should for a few days. Volt gauge showed plugs coming on during "wait" light startup and then cyclce a few times after startup and go to green showing charging system.

Then I was driving it today and I noticed my volt gauge jumping around and clicking from the start box. It was doing this while sitting at a stop light, not on startup. I got stopped and the clicking kept going. I unplugged the sensor and it stopped clicking at the start box. I am not sure I didn't kill my glow plugs again.

Start box? Sensor? Glow plugs? One suggestion I heard was try a new sensor first and see if that fixes it. (Because I have the Prestolite it is not a common easy to find the sensor.) My issue if that was not it I would be switching to the more common Nartron or KDS box which requires a different sensor.

I am tempted to just start over with a new Smart Start box, sensor and new glow plugs.

Can installing a new start box and sensor and not plugs hurt the new start box? Trying to not change plugs again if they are actually good.

I have read you need a certain alternator for certain start boxes?

Nartron? KDS? Which is the preferred box?

Also considering going with the new Camosystems manual glow plug box. Thoughts?

If you were in my position what would you do?

Thoughts? Thanks guys!!

BUILD YOUR OWN BOX!

CAMO makes a solid product BUT it ain't hard to build. I also sell them, but why not save the $ and DIY?

The design was created with CAMO's help all that time ago.

Look for posts # 1 and #51 for schematics with parts list and instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

RJTM998

If you guys saw my first post I am having start issues. I am strongly considering going to one of the manual start box setups from Camotechsystems. Any you guys have any experience with this setup? Thoughts?

To me, it seems like a simple solution for a known issue with the HMMWV system. The Smart Box is probably the # 1 thing that people fight on these trucks constantly. I have spoken with Cam directly and he seems very knowledgeable and a nice guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks