• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke 003

Walt4653

Bought several 003 at GL, one motor was slightly seized, but after taking out glow plugs and spraying mystery oil , the next day it moved easily.

Changed, fuel, filters, oil, let fuel in lines drain to bucket then reinstalling line, tried to start, after several tries it started, sputtered than ran well. Shut down checked for leaks, etc, all ok. Ran for 20-30 min.
Next day started it smoked out of one side for 30-40 seconds, then cleared.smoke is whitest not blue., put FI cleaner in ran 1 hr. started nex day same thing whitest smoke for 30-40 seconds then clears, and runs fine. Does any one know what problem I could have ?
thanks Walt

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you clean the fuel filters on the fuel pumps? White smoke from a diesel is an indication of lack of fuel. The fuel pump filters on my 003A were highly varnished up and had crud in them.

Uloadit

I have a 003a that does the same thing out the number one cylinder. I checked everything .no blow by or block pressure , compressure test at 325,moved out injectors to other cylinders,moved out glowplugs to other cylinders,.It just might be a bad lifter or might be in the injecter pump. But I can just live wit it because it only smokes for 30 secondes.When I first start it up it will smoke white then make a ( TA ) sound stop smokeing then smokeing again ,This (TA ) sound is random and not steady but like you said 30 or 40 seconds it stops .I can not here any skipping and allways runs smooth .I even check the valve clearence and seem good but i gave that cylender a little more gap and it got better with less of the ( TA ) sound. The only problem will be is when I go to sell ti someday

Walt4653

This morning it smoked a little less, 15-20 seconds, a little sputter then on the right tone, checked glow plugs one bad, bought some off Jerry and will replace. Seems like that is the culprit, will check results when I bring it outside and let it cool down, 18 degrees over here.
thanks to all
walt

Walt4653

Gary, Cleaned first one, type with metal plates, some crud but not bad, took off othe 2 and changed to a bolt on 2 micron racor fws. then ran pumps throug tank that had beed cleaned with new fuel, tank was rust free and in great shape except for normal dirt, cleaned again, then made first attempt to start gen. Then the smoke, but now through ss I think I solved the mystery. One glow plug not working. Will let it cool down then start again.

Walt4653

No, because of temp on all 4 cyl are within 10 degrees of each other, done with infrared therm. So all 4 should be ok, I recently had one where it was a valve stuck a little and temps were 50 degrees different on that cyl until I ran it with 110% load for one hrs then it either seated itself or became unstuck, after sitting since 1994, through someone changed filters and wrote down hrs on the gen. It was only run 1 hr since filter change in 1994. Runs grat now.
thanks
walt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks