• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke at temps below 195 degrees

choll

My blazer smokes on passenger side when the truck is below 195 degrees, every once in a while I get an odor of diesel, no diesel smell at exhaust. It has new lift pump, glow plugs and injectors. Other than smoke the motor runs as it's supposed to, no issues starting, cold idle perfect, gets a little over 20mpg. Motor has 49xxx miles. Any ideas/help.

Drock

Well the 20MPG says it's running healthy. You might have an air leak somewhere. I'd *temporarily* replace the return fuel hose coming out of the top of the injection pump, with a clear piece of hose to see if your getting any bubbles.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you said the injectors are new. But that does not mean they are good. Most including Bosh are made in India now. I have found many defects in the last 5 years. At 20 MPG you probally only have one bad one. It might be dribbling and not burning completely. Use a infra red heat gun on each exhaust manifold port. If there is one or more running cooler than the others then that's the bad one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What color smoke?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be a bad head or head gasket. As it heats up things expand and seal the leak. Are you losing any coolant?

Drock

It could be a bad head or head gasket. As it heats up things expand and seal the leak. Are you losing any coolant?
I doubt it's a head gasket. I've blown them twice now. And the symptoms are pressurizing the coolant system, pushing all the coolant out of the overflow, low operating temperatures, and terrible fuel mileage. Also at 20MPG's it's getting good compression so the rings are good and the cylinders are not cracked. So my money is on an air/fuel leak, or as fore mentioned a bad injector leaking. Maybe check to make sure all the injectors and lines are tight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks