• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke, idle, and power issues...

QuickSilver

Smoke, idle, and power issues... (video)

I've gone searching through a bunch of threads and haven't found one that seems to match the problem that I'm having.

My '09 is putting out quite a bit of white smoke at idle, and the idle is a bit rough as well. It doesn't make too much of a difference weather it's cold or hot outside, or if the engine is warmed up or cold. If I start driving and bring up the RPMs, the white smoke goes away, but it still doesn't run as smooth as normal. When giving it some throttle to push a hill, I don't get any smoke, but I do smell fuel pretty strong. This came on fairly suddenly, just started doing it. I've been running a quart of 2cycle oil in each tank, and an occasional dose of Power Service Diesel Clean. The fuel filter and air filter are both new. I'm running the timing advanced by about the width of the hash mark on the IP. That's the extent of new problems...

Weather this is related or not I don't know, but for as long as I have had it (6 months), it's sputtered a bit when more than about 1/3 throttle is applied. There really isn't any point in using more throttle as it doesn't gain any more power past that point, just makes more noise and that's about it.

The truck has about 40k on it.

Last edited:

mistaken1

White smoke is unburned fuel. Do you have an injector that is not closing properly?

Isn't there a troubleshooting technique that says to loosen one injector line at a time until you find the bad injector? (idle will get rough(er) if the injector is good and show no change if the injector is bad)

QuickSilver

I thought of that, but the thing is that since I have dual exhaust, and each bank is on it's own pipe, I should have only one bank smoking if it was an injector, which isn't the case. Both banks smoke equally. Oddly, the problem seems to be somewhat intermittent. This morning I fired it up and it was spitting and smoking, so I revved it slightly a few times, and it quit and ran perfectly for about a min, then, as if someone flipped a switch, it suddenly started smoking again. I fired it up again this afternoon to head for town, and it ran like a top. What the heck?

Oldsouthernboy

I had the same problem, drove me nuts for a while, I had just changed the fuel pump when it started. I got the engine warm, tried to drain the fuel filter, it would not drain, I bought a new filter and a can of brake cleaner, I removed the old filter, opened both of the valves on the base, and flushed brake cleaner through the base of the filter until I had a good flow out of the base, installed the new filter and then had fun getting fuel to flow, (I forgot to remove the fuel filler cap). once it was primed and running the problem went away. Been fine for a while, It seem the fuel return was clogged in the filter base itself. I hope this helps.

QuickSilver

Here's a video clip of the problem. The initial startup would be even worse, requiring a few revs to get it to clear out and idle. I pulled the dipstick tube and I am getting a little bit of smoke coming up out of it. Maybe the rings are getting weak?
YouTube - ‪M1009 Smoking‬‏

motormayhem

Hmmm, a little blow-by (some white smoke from oil fill) is normal. From watching your video it is hard to say what is wrong. I would pull the return line on the injection pump and see if you are getting good flow. Also if you have access to a fuel pressure gauge that can tell you if there is a problem with the lift pump. I believe there is a section in the TM that discusses lift pump specs. I think should make 5psi or more after 30 sec of cranking with the ignition wire disconnected and pump 1/2 quart or more in 30 sec. Defiantly is a fuel problem probably at the injector pump or before since it is affecting both sides of the engine.

QuickSilver

I've been working this weekend, so I haven't had any time to do more troubleshooting yet. I've been driving it to work and back though, and it hasn't done it once on the las two days. Weird!

QuickSilver

Well, it's running much better now, after I advanced the timing A LOT. It's about 3/8" past the hash mark. Must be time for a new chain.