• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke ?

l1a1man

When I am driving my 1986 M1009 it has recently started smoking. I only see it at nighttime in the headlights of other cars so I can't see the color If I dump the throttle and then slowly start pushing the accelerator it stops. Too much air fuel mixture? Power seems normal too.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try driving it during daylight.

BIG_RED

Diesel injector cleaner might clean it up a bit. I throw some in mine every so often and it seems to clear up the exhaust and gain a little more power. YMMV.

Barrman

What you see is always there. You just can't see it unless a headlight is behind you at night.

I had just gotten my first 6.2 when I used it to take my Scouts camping. I was leading a 5 vehicle convoy 30 miles down the highway pulling a box trailer. I saw the "smoke" the entire time in the mirror. I jumped out and started apologizing to the guy behind me once we got there. He said he didn't see or smell anything. Nothing in day light and since I haven't washed the truck in over 2 years and 15,000 miles with no smoke residue anywhere on the back of the truck. I don't even think about it anymore.

Panz

You can see this smoke on idle, against a high-contrast background like snow or white sand. Same thing when you see it in the mirrors, especially if there is a car with high temp headlights behind you (like over 5000K xenon).
I had this smoke for a year and a half, then I ordered a rebuilt fuel pump and injector kit, now my exhaust is clear. Had some performance increase, but not a great difference.
Tried adjusting pump timing, didn't make a difference till I changed the whole pump.

rickf

It is a mechanically injected, naturally aspirated, Non computer controlled, 30 year old engine. It is pretty amazing that they do not smoke a lot more than they do.

Rick

Keith_J

Even at full throttle, there is excess air for the fuel injected. A lot of the smoke is from soot which accumulates in the exhaust system and is only blown out at higher outputs when exhaust temperatures rise.

Even my 2000 electronically controlled direct injection turbo diesel smokes on hard pulls. It is really bad if I have been lightly driving. It will leave three black marks on the pavement, two from the driven wheels, the third from the factory down turned exhaust tip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks